What's new

Any other Final Fantasy fanatics out there? (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I know I surely am, and i have recently begun my quest to finish all of the games i can in sucession, I hope to be done in time for the X2 release.

But I am wondering has anyone else times themselves to see how fast they can do it? I am hoping to make it in an average of 30 hours per game. I just finished the first one in under 25, and abck in the day i could romp through Final Fantasy 4 in under 10, but i figure at best i will finish X in 35-40 hours same for final fantasy 7.

but if anyone else wants to post their times through the final fantasy games I'd love to hear it.

if there is much of a response i will post all my times as i finish them again, maybe we will get soem friendly competition on the go here?

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Sorry, nope. :) I'm a Final Fantasy nut, but I tend to try and do everything and anything when I play through them. Haven't tried to be as fast as I could before.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I freak as well, but I agree with JamieD. I am a perfectionist when it comes to collecting things in FF games. Have to get every item, weapon, armor, spell there is.

FF 7,8,9,10 have all taken me between 90 - 100 hrs to full complete.

Can remember the others FF 1 - 3 and mystic quest, I was not keeping track.

Krys

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
FF7 was my first FF game, then I bought Anthology, 8, 9, and X. I almost finished 6, got a few hours into 5, but beat the rest. FF7 took me a while (first RPG ever, I was deprived as a child), 8 took me longer, and 9 took me the least amount of time.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well I do both, the only thing i have enver gotten in FF4 was the pink tail and hence adamantite armour. :frowning: but i got everythign else and in a separate game i beat it in under 9 hours.

unfortunately ive never been able to drag these games out very long.... getting everythign in FF7 i still finished it for the first time in under 50 hours.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've never tried for speed... I try to beat it w/o a guide the 1st time... then with to get EVERYTHING ;-)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What I usually do is buy the game with a guide, but play the game without it and read the section about where I just was ater I play through it. That way, I can do the story stuff without it being spoiled, then see if there are any important items to get.

Paul-
By "the third" I hope you mean FF6?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I do the same as Morgan after I walked past the 2nd Bahamut materia in FF7. Look for the item list and ignore the strategies and maps. I wouldn't call myself a FF fanatic, but I have played all of them at least once-and-a-half or so (excluding FF8, which I didn't like very much after about 10 hours or so, and never touched again). Admittedly, I don't get around to playing many RPGs that aren't FF though. Dragon Warrior VII and IV for NES, Lunar 2, Baldur's Gate 1&2. Ignoring DW7&4 and Lunar 2, I can't think of the last time I played a non-Square console RPG.
And I guess Dragon Warrior now counts as Square-Enix. That leaves Lunar.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oooh, Lunar 1 and 2 were both excellent. Well, I never beat the final boss in Lunar 2, but got right up to his final form.

Am I the only one who really liked 8? I went back to play through it again maybe 2 years ago and stopped right after the beginning of the second disc, but I still enjoyed it that time. And while the Junction system was confusing, putting the time into learning it would be VERY rewarding.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who really liked 8?
I love the story of 8 very much. I always tear up during the song played when Squall and Rinoa are on the Ragnarok. I loved the overdrive system (keeping your HP in the yellow usually resulted in the overdrive option) especially Quistis' Degenerator. :b The junction system never bothered me at all since I usually auto-junctioned for attack all the time. It is just the draw system that got repetitive to me. I got around this by having every one draw, until Squall got 100 spells (since he normally draws more spells than others), then end the battle and had him give those spells to someone else.

I also always play through myself the first time. Then use a guide or gamefaqs.com to play through again to find things I missed the first time. I've never played for speed and end up with a 50hour+ time by games end.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who really liked 8?
I have coworker who we always have this discussion with. He got bored of FF9 and gave it up about a third to half way through. He still has it, just doesn't have much play time (his wife gets the TV most of the time). He liked 8 a lot and I liked 9 alot. I found the draw system ridiculously tedious and time consuming. And somehow the students learning to fight in school idea at the beginning somehow didn't appeal.
My friend also plays Diablo and Evercrack, and can spend endless hours leveling up and getting treasure. I do not level up. Almost never, unless absolutely necessary. I love to do everything in the game, but walking in circles and fighting is not my idea of fun (I don't have enough time free to waste it). I remember falling asleep gaining money for silver swords in FF1, or level gaining in Dragon Warrior IV, back in the day, but I don't do it very often these days.
Stealing items in FF is tedious enough. I couldn't stand needing to do it just to throw spells around.
My favorite FF to date is probably FF6 (but I don't like the everybody-does-everything it turns into later) or FF4 (5 party members, no fighters tossing Ultima spells).
I also didn't like it when they stepped down to 3 party members (FF7, FF8, FFX). 4 seems a lot more strategic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks