Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to make use of "extra" DirecTV sat dish?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:02 AM

A couple weeks ago, I upgraded to the HD sat dish. When the installer finished, he handed me the old dish saying "here, this is yours". I was thinking I'd like to use this as a "remote" dish, take it to football games for tailgating, etc.

What all do I need to do to get this to work? I assume I'd need to pull one of my receivers from the house. I haven't looked at it closely, but how do I run the cabling from it? Should I also mount it to a pole somehow?

Anyone done this who can step me though it?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   GioAngles

GioAngles

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:35 AM

It makes an excellent nacho platter.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
Should I also mount it to a pole somehow?
You could have someone hold it it pointed towards the correct satellite. At one time Radio Shack sold a dish holding tripod made for tailgating. Bolt your dish on it and aim at the the correct satellite.

Quote:
I assume I'd need to pull one of my receivers from the house.
Yes.

Quote:
how do I run the cabling from it?
Pull the LNB and you will see one or two coax connectors. Run an RG-6 cable through the arm and connect it to the LNB. Connect the other end to the receiver's satellite in connector. Aim the dish. Watch TV.

-Robert

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
You could have someone hold it it pointed towards the correct satellite. At one time Radio Shack sold a dish holding tripod made for tailgating. Bolt your dish on it and aim at the the correct satellite.

Sounds like the kind of job for the troublemaker-of-the-day... I'll check with Radio Shack, thanks.

Quote:
Pull the LNB and you will see one or two coax connectors. Run an RG-6 cable through the arm and connect it to the LNB. Connect the other end to the receiver's satellite in connector. Aim the dish. Watch TV.

Sounds simple enough. I'll give it a whirl.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Joe

Joe

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:03 PM

I second the nacho platter!

Actually I have a couple of dishes around as well.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   RobWil

RobWil

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
It makes an excellent nacho platter.

LOL!
When I saw the title I saw an excellent opportunity to be a smartass, but I see someone beat me to it Posted Image

How about a wok?
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   MannyE

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:36 PM

Actually...since you mentioned Nachos...and I want to add the DirecTV "Para Todos" package...I was wondering if the extra dish can be used to aim at whatever the second horn on that special dual feed horn dish is?
Ni!!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 23 2003 - 11:47 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if the extra dish can be used to aim at whatever the second horn on that special dual feed horn dish is?
Yes it can. A lot of people who don't have a clear view of both sats from one location will put up two (or more) dishes. You will also need a 5x4 or 5x8 switch to combine the dishes. Go to Dishnetwork's site and download their aiming utility and use the coordinates for the 119 satellite. If you want to go with a full HD setup you would need a third dish with the Sat-C LNB pointed at 110. Your house might look like a NASA tracking station but you will be able to fine tune the aim of each dish.

-Robert

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow