What's new

How to make use of "extra" DirecTV sat dish? (1 Viewer)

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
A couple weeks ago, I upgraded to the HD sat dish. When the installer finished, he handed me the old dish saying "here, this is yours". I was thinking I'd like to use this as a "remote" dish, take it to football games for tailgating, etc.

What all do I need to do to get this to work? I assume I'd need to pull one of my receivers from the house. I haven't looked at it closely, but how do I run the cabling from it? Should I also mount it to a pole somehow?

Anyone done this who can step me though it?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
how do I run the cabling from it?
Pull the LNB and you will see one or two coax connectors. Run an RG-6 cable through the arm and connect it to the LNB. Connect the other end to the receiver's satellite in connector. Aim the dish. Watch TV.

-Robert

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
Pull the LNB and you will see one or two coax connectors. Run an RG-6 cable through the arm and connect it to the LNB. Connect the other end to the receiver's satellite in connector. Aim the dish. Watch TV.
Sounds simple enough. I'll give it a whirl.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I second the nacho platter!

Actually I have a couple of dishes around as well.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Actually...since you mentioned Nachos...and I want to add the DirecTV "Para Todos" package...I was wondering if the extra dish can be used to aim at whatever the second horn on that special dual feed horn dish is?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was wondering if the extra dish can be used to aim at whatever the second horn on that special dual feed horn dish is?
Yes it can. A lot of people who don't have a clear view of both sats from one location will put up two (or more) dishes. You will also need a 5x4 or 5x8 switch to combine the dishes. Go to Dishnetwork's site and download their aiming utility and use the coordinates for the 119 satellite. If you want to go with a full HD setup you would need a third dish with the Sat-C LNB pointed at 110. Your house might look like a NASA tracking station but you will be able to fine tune the aim of each dish.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks