What's new

Will the bad CGI be fixed for Die Another Day DVD? (1 Viewer)

After all the money that was made during its theatrical run, will they invest some to fix the obvious CGI in the movie for the DVD release?

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt it frankly. I don't think the DVD mastering process is likely to have a spare budget for replacing the special effects that were after all deemed 'good enough for the film'.

Bond it may be, the cash cow that FotR et al are with their special editions it almost certainly isn't.

(Put away the flamethrowers, I liked FotR and the extended cut ):D

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Besides, part of the fun of watching the older Bond movies is the evolution of action movie F/X. In 15-20 years, we'll look back and say, yep, that's when they started using digital stunt doubles for 007; don't they look funny? (Of course, we're saying that already, but still... :D

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It may look okay on television. It just looked awful when blown up on a 40' movie screen.

Neil

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If the CG effects (or any other part of the film) were altered for the DVD release, you can bet there'd be a hue and cry over alterations to the original work. :D

Bond it may be, the cash cow that FotR et al are with their special editions it almost certainly isn't.
There are Bond films that have been reissued as many (or more) times than the Star Wars films -- on VHS, LD and DVD. The Bond catalog has been a video cash cow since before FOTR was a gleam in Peter Jackson's camera.

M.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
There are Bond films that have been reissued as many (or more) times than the Star Wars films -- on VHS, LD and DVD. The Bond catalog has been a video cash cow since before FOTR was a gleam in Peter Jackson's camera.
Heh, granted. I meant to say that Die another Day was unlikely to get/justify another different cut of the film on the shelves at the same time. It's unlikely that the effort involved in reshooting/recutting scenes would pay back in the same way that New Line are managing with LotR.

Almost every one of my friends who are interested in LotR have both versions of the film on DVD now and will again when the TTT comes out. If DAD (now there's an unfortunate acronym) came out in two versions I'm fairly certain even the bond fans I know would only buy the one cut.

The bond franchise on the other hand is a different kettle of fansploitation. ;)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Again, Matt.. I am not so sure on your assumption. The Bond fans are a pretty passionate group and it spans so many different demographics and ages and genders.

-- Matt

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
True. :D

Weirdos. (So says the man staring at his Alien:Legacy box set and wondering if he can justify buying the upcoming 9 disk edition...):b :D

I STILL don't think we'll see new cgi. :p)

Britton

Screenwriter
If you didn't gouge out your eyes at the sight of the horrible GCI on a movie screen, I think you should be able to deal with it in a home theater setup :)

GCI stunt doubles suck though. The Bond movies have always seemed to pride themselves on doing cool stunts with real people.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I STILL don't think we'll see new cgi
I'll agree on that. Nor do I think the film needs it, like other mentioned, part of the fun of the Bond films are those jump cuts in punches that Sean Connery throws, or Planes landing underwater and seeing the strings..

I was just saying, never underestimate the passion of the Bond fan.

-- Matt

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Of course, we could demand that one of the biggest gaffes in movie history be fixed in "Live and Let Die" when we see a "Soviet" space shot being launched from Cape Canaveral (not many palm trees in Khazakstan). Maybe Lucas can loan ILM to "fix" it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm still pissed about the boom mike being removed from "Goldeneye"- it showed up in theatrical release when he says "The writing's on the wall" but was cropped out on the laserdisc- it was NOT a framing error in the theatres as I was the one running the projectors!

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Just watched the region 2 version of Die Another Day last night on my 45" hdtv it looks very unrealistic at many points throughout the film. Most likely the transfer will be the same or similar.

Most of the shots in the film are an obvious giveaway as cgi and are very noticeable on the dvd .

I wonder how much of this film was actually shot on location?

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
the Bond movie you are referring to with the Soviet space shot, taking off from Cape Canaveral, was You Only Live Twice, not Live and Let Die.

Any BOND fan would know this.

Ian

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm still pissed about the boom mike being removed from "Goldeneye"- it showed up in theatrical release when he says "The writing's on the wall" but was cropped out on the laserdisc- it was NOT a framing error in the theatres as I was the one running the projectors!
Why should the boom mike stay in the shot? There is a difference between making Han shoot second and removing a boom from a shot.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Because it made it into theaters with that error intact, so that's how the movie should be preserved. What if they went back and redid "The World Is Not Enough" so that it didn't suck? :D

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
i must have been asleep during die another day cause i really didn't notice any really bad cgi shots during the film...
can someone mention specific scenes
i thought it was cool

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
all the close ups during the hovercraft chase at the beginning of the film were done in front of a screen. It looked no different then a very low budget television show effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks