-

Photo
- - - - -

NBA Playoffs in HD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 05:30 PM

Is anyone watching the playoffs in HD? I see the adds for Hidef PLayoffs but DirectTV and the dish only list a few games as being veiwable in HD.

I guess my real question is how do I watch all of the Kings games in HD? I currently have Dish Network, but I'm willing to switch if necessary.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:49 AM

BUMP

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:22 AM

I think its only the games that are on NBATV, Spurs, Suns tonight would be one but since I live in SA, I believe Directv will be blocking it off. I never understood that.?.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:28 AM

Here is an excerpt from an article in espn.com:

We can't quite use the word "rejoice" yet, but the news on the NBA TV situation is suddenly good. While the sides continue to negotiate on contracts to make the channel more widely available next season, the league and three cable operators -- Cablevision, Comcast and Time Warner -- have agreed to restore NBA TV on a free basis through April 30.

So if you're a digital cable subscriber on any of those systems, the channel should be there for the next week. And since that covers the portion of the playoffs that NBA TV is carrying live games, that's big.

As a warning, you might have to look around for the channel. On my system, for example, NBA TV doesn't appear in the channel listings but the feed is coming in on Channel 445, right in the heart of League Pass territory.

It's not as good as having NBA TV back permanently -- only DirecTV and Echostar's DISH Network do at present -- but it's a good short-term solution. If you've got digital cable at home, or if you can find a pal who has it, it should be less of a struggle now to catch Magic at Pistons on Wednesday night, Spurs at Suns on Friday night and Tuesday's NBA TV doubleheader, Milwaukee at New Jersey and Boston at Indiana.

GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:32 AM

BTW, is ESPN in HD yet? I have Directv so I don't Think im going to get it but I am not sure. Any ideas?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:37 AM

Yeah, I received a message on my voicemail from Time Warner a few days ago saying I'd be able to see at least 3 playoff games(the last one being tonight's Spurs/Suns matchup) in HD on channel 300 for free. Now if only they can get around to adding ESPN HD and WB HD in the H-Town area.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted April 25 2003 - 04:40 AM

ug, I can't stand Time Warner. I am coming to the conclusion that DISH network has more to offer than Directv.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor

• 660 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 02:54 AM

So I tried checking NBAHD last night (channel 300 on TWC Houston) and it was "gone". Does this mean they just wanted to tease us? Is it coming back?
My DVDs ~ Beat Portfolio

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 03:40 AM

It was only supposed to be free through the end of April. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Time Warner is teasing us. As far as I know, there aren't any HD playoff games being broadcast at the moment. TNT, ABC, and ESPN(the regular one) are carrying them.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor

• 660 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:41 AM

Why would they stop using the HD cameras if they have them? Seems like a waste of capital investment.

Also, what's this "free" through April about? Is there some plan to charge for NBA HD in the future? I already pay TWC a flat fee for their HD programming. Are they going to start charging per HD channels like they do for movie channels, etc?
My DVDs ~ Beat Portfolio

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 05:57 AM

It was only available for the first round. There were no exclusive broadcast rights for the first round games. For instance, our local station broadcast games that were playing on TNT without getting blacked out.

The rules change for the second round and beyond. ABC, TNT, and ESPN are the only networks broadcasting games from now on.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete