What's new

Directors Who would win in a fight? (Round IV) (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It's now too late to join the fighting, but you can still influence the action by voting.

Here's the draft order:
1. Brad Porter
- The Incredible Hulk
- Godzilla
- Happy Fun Ball!
- Superman
- Wolverine
- Jack Bauer

2. Ric Bagoly
- Bruce Lee
- S.E. "Snake" Plissken
- Frank Dux
- The Terminator
- Rocky Balboa
- Jason Voorhees

3. SteveGon
- The Predator
- Ash
- The Thing (of the Fantastic Four)
- Popeye
- The Dixie Chicks
- Russell Crowe

4. Steeve Bergeron
- Gandalf the White
- Yoda
- Bugs Bunny
- Sil (from Species)
- Spawn
- Wonder Woman

5. John Dhein
- Galactus
- Santa Claus
- Bill Gates
- Jeannie II
- John McClane
- Homer Simpson

6. Brian Kissinger
- Papa Smurf
- Arthur Fonzarelli
- Mr. Peanut
- Marcellus Wallace's glowing suitcase
- Mr. Whipple
- The Blob

7. Brian Lawrence
- Tom Jones
- Mecha-Streisand
- Speedy Gonzales
- Jesus Quintana
- The Man With No Name (although often referred to as "Blondie")
- Anna Nicole Smith

8. Mike Hutman
- Neo
- Emmanuel Lewis
- Mountain Man/Toothless Man/Lonny (from Deliverance)
- Natalie Letisha Sage Green
- BatBoy
- Goldberg!

9. ChuckDeLa
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The Road Runner
- The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
- Droopy
- Jm J. Bullock
- Optimus Prime

10. Angelo.M
- Batman
- Iron Man
- The Atom
- Experiment 626, aka Stitch
- Dark Phoenix
- Aeon Flux

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to the Polls area, some fool goes and starts another "Who would win in a fight?" thread. :D

Part I: The Draft

The number of participants is constrained only by member interest. Each participant will get to draft 4 fighters (if the number of participants is small, we can expand the number of fighters on each team). Anyone responding to the thread wanting to participate before 8 PM Pacific time on Wednesday gets in (with the only rule being that we need an even number of participants). Once the participants are determined, a random draft order will be generated (I'm not going to punish anyone in the draft order for not being awake when I am. :) ). The draft will be performed in a serpentine order (1-16,16-1,...) for 4 rounds with a 12 hour draft window from the previous pick. If you miss your draft window, you get to pick twice during your next turn. There will be no out of turn drafting. You will not be reminded by me when it's your turn. If enough of you say that you want it when you sign up, then I'll let you PM me your picks in advance.

Draft whoever you like (real fighters, superheroes, cartoon characters, action heroes, complete wimps, etc.) with the obvious exceptions of fighters that would violate forum rules (no heads of state, no deities, etc.). Any fighters from the previous tournaments are eligible (simply because those threads have been trimmed and I don't remember who the fighters were).

When the drafting is complete, everyone will rank the fighters that they have drafted and post that ranking in the thread. This ranking is permanent for the remainder of the tournament.

Part II: The Fights

Round 1:

X = number of participants

Draft position #1 fighter #1 faces draft position #X fighter #1
Draft position #2 fighter #1 faces draft position #(X-1) fighter #1
Draft position #3 fighter #1 faces draft position #(X-2) fighter #1
and so on.

All battles in this round will be conducted simultaneously and voting will last for one glorious day. (I reserve the right to break this into two groups if we get lots of participation.) The winner in each battle will be determined by popular vote. When your fighter is defeated, he/she is eliminated from your team and all of your other fighters move up in rank by one.

Round 2 is the same as round 1, except the matchups are changed so that the highest ranked fighters on each team are matched up as follows: #1 faces #(X-1), #2 faces #(X-2), ... ,#(X/2) faces #X, etc.

Voting determines which fighters are eliminated once again. Round 3 sees #1 vs #(X-2), #2 vs #(X-3), #(X/2) vs #(X-1), #(X/2)-1 vs #X, etc. If this seems complex to you, don't worry about it... I'll post the matchups.

After four rounds have been completed, it is possible that one or more teams will be out of fighters. You are out of contention at that point and your team is eliminated from the matchups. If an odd number of teams remains, the team that has received the most votes for its top fighter gets a bye for that round.

This process will be repeated for however many rounds it takes to produce a champion. The fight will last a minimum of eight rounds (X/2 fighters eliminated in each round with 4X total fighters) and will last a few rounds longer for each team that dominates all of its opponents. The winner is the team that survives the longest (and therefore contains the last fighter standing). We may close the tournament by having that team's fighters face off against each other in a royal rumble to determine the ultimate winner.

The fighting rounds will each last one day with the exception of the weekend where voting will remain open for both Saturday and Sunday.

The mood of this thread is intended to be fun. If you can't joke around about fictional or real people fictionally fighting each other then please don't join. There is no justification required for why you voted the way that you did, but humorous descriptions of the fights are highly encouraged. Introduce whatever weapons you feel appropriate for the fighter.

Let's get ready to rumble!

Brad

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
what the heck: i'll play

brad: could you reconsider your "I won't remind you when it's your turn" policy? it really has helped in other drafts, IMHO

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
brad: could you reconsider your "I won't remind you when it's your turn" policy? it really has helped in other drafts, IMHO
My only concern with that is that I have a day job, so I can't constantly monitor the draft process during the day. Other people are welcome to provide whatever reminders would be helpful.

Two people so far? We're gonna need more people for me to beat. :D

Brad

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Slight modification to the rules...

The draft still begins tomorrow evening with everyone who signs up before that time. If anyone wants to join after the draft has begun, they will pick at the end of the current round in the order that they join. They are not a part of the serpentine draft order and will pick at the end of each round.

So, for X participants in when the draft starts:

#1 through #X each make one pick...
Anyone who joined during round 1 makes one pick...
#X through #1 each make one pick...
Anyone who joined during round 1 makes one pick...
Anyone who joined during round 2 makes two picks...
...and so on.

If the draft ends with an odd number of teams, I'll draft a humorous supplemental team to even out the matchups.

Capisce?

Brad

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brad: I'm going to withdraw. I won't be able to monitor the draft closely enough, and I don't want to hold you up.

np: S&G, "mrs. robinson"

how 'bout the Minnesota Wild...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Let's get this party started...

The draft order was determined by alphabetizing the list based on the third letter of each participant's screen name (and using the third from the last letter as a tiebreaker). Coincidentally enough, this gave me the first draft position. :D :D :D

Here's the draft order:
1. Brad Porter
2. Ric Bagoly
3. SteveGon
4. Steeve Bergeron
5. John Dhein
6. Brian Kissinger
7. Brian Lawrence
8. Mike Hutman
9. ChuckDeLa

I'd love to have more than nine total people, so everyone convince your HTF buddies to join in. If we don't get more people, we may extend the draft to six rounds (if that sounds good to all of you).

My first pick is:

The Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash! You won't like him when he's angry.

Ric Bagoly is up next.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks