What's new

Normal to have a bad reaction to "real bass" (1 Viewer)

Just upgraded from a HTIB kenwood 8 inch subwoofer to a Velodyne CT-150. When i first cranked this new beast up my initial reaction was huh what the hell is that! It sounded so much different that i have to admit my initial reaction was bad. However it blends so much better with my other speakers. I dont feel as if the subwoofer is a seperate speaker anymore. It seems to blend flawlessly with the other speakers (RTi28's and CSi30 center). Only problem i have with it is that with the Avia LFE sweep it doesnt go any lower than the POS Kenwood which is around the upper 30hz range. I know human hears can hear down to the low 20's with out much problem. So what gives? Is it perhaps my room that is cutting these subs off so soon or my volume which is realtively low being that i live in a townhome. My other question is if i move the sub around and hopefully get it to go into the twenties at higher volumes. When i turn the volume down to my normal listening levels will still be able to hear the low stuff?

Thanks,

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
20Hz is more of a sound you feel rather than hear. And a speaker--even say a large sub with a 15" woofer--can be tuned for loud/punchy bass rather than the low/rumbly type (i.e. 20Hz). Maybe this is the case with the Velodyne?

When I worked at a big box store, we were lucky to sell the CambridgeSoundworks subwoofer: a smallish, sealed system with a long-excursion 12" woofer and 140 watt amp (@$700). Magazines that tested it reported it to go to an honest 20Hz. They were right--when we demonstrated the right movies, that thing could shake your pants leg from 10 feet away. And the Jurassic Park dino footsteps were scary to feel. But it didn't get very loud compared to our Cerwin-Vega or AudioSource subs, a problem for some people.

Building a subwoofer to be LOUD and DEEP sounding is an expensive proposition.

LJ

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
If 20 hz is completely inaudible then it stands to reason that frequencies nearing 20, say between 20 and 25, would be nearing inaudibility. Have you measured those low bass tones with an SPL meter? If not, you should get one from RS and see exactly what you Velo is putting out. It also helps with setting up all of the other speaker levels.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh,...... I might have a different view.

20hz is more feel than hear, and there is still alot to hear if the sub can hack it. it sounds to me as though my hearing is starting and stopping at 20 times a second.......

At 16hz, its really wierd sound,........ its low beyond words to describe.

David you were right on the money. I hadnt thought of using the SPL. Just took for granted i would hear it. The velo is definately putting out sound below 30 without much of a drop on the SPL. I let my girlfreind listen due to everyone hearing being different, and she could hear it lower than me and could also feel it. I guess my hears just arent as sensitive to low frequencies. Just means i will have to play it louder :D.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Maybe your hearing is fine and you're just sitting in a room null. You can play with the placement a little bit and in-room extension to 25Hz is not out of the realm of possibility of the CT-150. It should still be able to shake you up pretty well and definitely sound better than before.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
As a fellow ct-150 owner I can tell you it will reach 20hz without breaking a sweat. The human ear is hard pressed to hear anything clearly below 22hz. A few can tell the difference but not many. Those that say they hear tones way below 20hz are not actually hearing the tones but the harmonic frequencies which are an octave or two higher. You can duplicate this process with a piano. Hold down a key at the very top of the keyboard. Now while holding down that key play the same key a few octaves below and you can hear that higher key producing sounds even though it is not played at all. Sub gurus who understand far more than I will tell you that these harmonic frequencies or overtones can really give you headaches but my room has been very nice to me.;)

Marc H

Second Unit
I think Michael's right - fool around with different placements in the room. Probably a node or standing wave issue.

Before lugging that beast around the room maybe i should walk around as the sweep is playing and see if i can hear a difference. What do you think?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
That's a good idea Ryan. The ct-150 should shake things up just fine. I'm surprised that you aren't feeling it though. You might be in a null as suggested. I am in a 24'X 12 with 10' ceilings and one does or I should say has done very well for the price I paid. I ran duel 150's but one was plenty. I am in the sweet spot to. Try Using a Y on the back of it and in calibrating do not go below the middle value on your receiver along with different placement. See if you can find that sweet spot? It has a 23 Hz tune so you should be able to realize much more. Do you have your X/over setting on the {in} on the back of your sub > letting your receiver do the cross and defeating the cross on the Vel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks