Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Outer Limits (2nd Series) Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Greiling

Jeffrey Greiling

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 03:09 PM

I bought both of the 2nd Outer Limits series (the one that was done in the 90's) release and was wondering if any other discs for the second season have been rumored. On a similar note how does the orginal series compare to the new series I am thinking of picking up the Volume 1 Collection of the Orginal Series.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 04:13 PM

The only things they have in common are the name and sci-fi genre. The producers of the 90's series weren't exactly fans of the original series. When one of those producers was asked which of the original episodes was his favorite he noted that the series had been done "in the Fifties." (?!) The original series has some of the best, hard edged, no apologies, sci-fi you're likely to find in sixties TV.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 04:38 PM

I am also pretty fond of the Outer Limits new series. I haven't even heard rumors of a release. Strange for a series that ran like 5 or 6 seasons.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 10:36 PM

I've heard rumors but nothing worth passing on. It was disheartening to see New Outer Limits releases missing from the list that allegedly shows MGM releases for the indicated months, since Outer Limits (first series) Season 2 is on there. But we must keep in mind that not all of their plans may be revealed yet, and we still have no idea just how accurate that list (which I relayed here on HTF from a post in another forum) really is. We'll see. Rest assured that I'm keeping my eyes peeled for more releases of The New Outer Limits, and if I hear of any I'll post it pronto!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:00 AM

Outer Limits season 2 is coming out? FANTASTIC! Now I can get a (hopefully) nice clean copy of my favorite episode Demon with a Glass Hand.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:56 AM

And just how good is the original series? I'll go one further than some of the above posts: It's the finest-ever science-fiction series. The emphasis was on telling stories. Special effects are not the issue. Instead, it's about mood, tone, evocativeness, etc. And intelligence. Second season's "Demon With a Glass Hand," scripted by Hugo Award-winning writer Harlan Ellison, is in my list of the ten best SF films/dramas ever made. Some of the teleplays could have been stage plays. It's the topicality that matters, not the lack of SFX bells and whistles that clutter what Hollywood now passes off as "science fiction." And, effects be damned, the producers at least attempted to show aliens that really look and act like something alien to this planet. One is so drawn into the stories the overall effect is one of believability.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 04:17 AM

With Volume 2 of the original series due to come out this fall, I wonder if there will be any extras with it, as there are only 17 episodes. --Randy S.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 05:14 AM

There was also a sense of sheer eerieness and paranoia, added to the noirish settings that gave the series an edge that wouldnt please sponsors today-and is lacking in the new series. Many stories had to do with a malevolent collusion of Government/Military and Science going past the boundaries of common sense or decency, things that the new series seems not dwell upon in quite the same way. Some of my favorite stories have to do with pure science and Physics, like The Galaxy Being, Borderlands, and It Crawled from the Woodwork... Leslie Stevens and Joseph Stephano were true visionaries...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users