-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PDA remote controls any good?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 10:43 AM

Here are two different ideas, and I find them both interesting. I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience or thoughts. I did a search of HTF and came up empty.
http://www.connected.tv/Home - PALM

http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html - PC

I am intrigued by the idea I can make a custom remote with a custom layout. I could put my mactros all where I want them and lable them simple enough for any guest to figure out.

I presently don't own any pda, so I can buy whatever.

#2 of 4 BobAZ

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 11:00 AM

When I looked into this a couple years back, most PDA IR transmitters were only good for 10 feet or less. The newer models may be a bit stronger. If you are close to the equipment then you may not have a problem.

EDIT: I guess I should note that I tried it on a Palm III or IIIX. A friend had a Palm V and both of us didn't find the IR range adequate to use them as A/V remotes.
a.k.a digitalmanAZ on other DVD/HT sites
Onkyo TX-SR600, JBL S-CenterII, JBL S36IIPM, JBL N24, SVS PC12-NSD

#3 of 4 Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 07:17 AM

I tried omni-remote on a palm m100 and was very disapointed. Not only was the IR strength not quite enough, it also responded very slow to the press of a button. I've since went with a Pronto TS1000 and haven't looked back. The Pronto works great, has great IR distance, and has yet to disapoint me.

Hope this helps Posted Image

#4 of 4 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:00 AM

I have used the Nevo on my iPAQ 3970, but I find it is only useful for changing channels at bars and airports. The built-in library of codes is impressive. It is a nice bonus feature, but I am glad that it is not my main remote control. I much prefer the hard buttons on my MX-500.