What's new

6.1 Question (1 Viewer)

MarcEstrada

Agent
As far as I know, when I want to listen to a 6.1 DVD that doesn't have a discrete channel (like DTS 6.1 discrete), I have to manually change my receiver from Auto to Matrix to get the 6.1 track to play.

My question is, since I usually keep it on Auto all of the time, is there any reason I can't keep it on Matrix all of the time instead? DVDs that don't have 6.1 I assume would still play in 5.1, but I'd like to know for sure.

Can anyone verify either way?

MarcEstrada

Agent
Ok. Kept my receiver in Matrix mode and tried a few DVDs.

Lord of the Rings was able to be played on 6.1 sound (discrete). The lights on the front of my reciever came on indicating which speakers were being used.

I tried a Dolby Digital ES DVD (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) and it also played in 6.1 (matrix)

Now when I tried a Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD (5th Element), my receiver said all of my speakers were being used for 6.1. I physically went to each of the surrounds and heard sound coming from the rear left, rear right AND the rear center.

Why would there be sound coming from the rear center channel? Since I was running the receiver in matrix mode, did it just combine the rear left and rear right channels and sent them to the center?

Anyone?

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Some recivers like mine(kenwood 6070) have a function that lets you turn your 5.1 mixes into 6.1, mine is called surround remix. When it's turned on it turns any 5.1 mix into a matrix 6.1 mix.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much. There is no fundamental difference between DD EX/DTS ES matrix and regular 5.1. They both carry 5.1 channels. They are mixed, however, with the intention of being played back with a simple matrix decoder, so that you get a matrixed 6.1 effect, almost identical to that of the discrete DTS ES. As you mentioned, often your receiver will not recognize DTS ES matrix/DD EX discs because they are not flagges as such, so you must manually apply the EX processing. Well, since there is nothing unique, really, about the EX discs, you can apply that same processing to any other 5.1 disc, JUST as you can apply Pro-Logic/PL II/CS etc. to ANY stereo source. The results with sountracks, just as it is with stereo sources and pro logic, may or may not be good. They were most likely not mixed with this in mind, or mixed before the technology arrived, so it's just trial and error to see if an older 5.1 mix sounds better or not with EX processing applied.

So, the long and complicated answer is, that if you leave it in auto, many 5.1 EX/ES matrix discs are not flagged as such, and will not trigger the EX processing, which, as you've discovered you have to do manually. If you leave the receiver in 6.1/EX mode, it will apply that to ALL 5.1 discs, with often very good results, but perhaps not always. I personally am ok with the inconvenience of doing things manually, but I'm very hands on with my system, but many would rather not have to deal with switching things around manually, by either leaving it in auto and missing the 6.1, or more often just leaving it in 6.1. Hope that clears everything up for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks