What's new

How to protect speakers from cats, dogs, small children, and other domestic hazards? (1 Viewer)

Dave Neff

Auditioning
Can someone guide me to where I can get a new set of speaker covers I have a set of Klispch ksf 8.5's. I would like to find some metal covers like the ones on my Klipsch ksb 3.1's. Please any help would be great! email me at [email protected]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What happened to the cat, if I may ask? (Because I value the life of a cat over inanimate speakers, I make the adjustments necessary to accommodate the situation, such as satellite speakers mounted on tall stands.)

Dave Neff

Auditioning
;) actually we still have the cat he is a full blooded black persian with all the attitude a person could want in a feline.... I believe he is on the sofa right now, it is his claws that are gone. no more problems, as he is strickly an indoor cat. I have emailed klipsch but no response yet that was a week ago, I emailed them again this morning, we will see. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, we won't go into the controversial issue of declawing here. But I feel better now.

Seriously, though, people with cats or with small children or other lifestyle issues have to plan their home theaters accordingly. As for replacement grills, I've had to do it in the past (all my cats have looked at speakers, especially tower-type units, as glorified scratching posts that make music). Surely Klipsch sells replacement speaker grills.

John Royster

Screenwriter
from klipsch web site...

Klipsch Home Audio Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)
Available During Business Hours
E-mail: [email protected]

I'd call them and have a credit card ready.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
God spelled backwards is Dog...

My Doberman never tries to climb my speakers.. Though on
occasion that big azz of hers has bumped into them causing
them to teeter (they weigh 65 pound each mind you...)

Heh

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Not too many issues with my cat (other than she thinks the sweet spot is hers. :angry: My Male Austrialan Sheppard on the other hand... thinks the TV is a window and likes to charge it when there are animals on the screen, Horses, Cows ect.

At my old place he would chagre the TV. When the animal went off screen he would then run to the front room to look out the big window to see if he could see the animal... made me laugh soo much.

Now with the 57" Toshiba I keep him at a distance when watching a movie with animals... Haven't had to wash any nose prints off yet. And I almost have him traind not to do it.

Animals.. thier like kids, and now that I have one I believe it even more. But thats another thread. :D

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I had a dog that would look at the screen when an animal was on it, then check behind the tv cabinet to see if it was there. My cats and current dog never go near my HT stuff. The kids on the other hand...Let's just say four kids and ceramic speakers are a difficult combination.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Jack Briggs - thanks for your response. I was going to say something along those very lines.
Denis, there is a big difference between writing "cat is now gone" in your thread subject, and then later stating that the cat was declawed. Kind of an odd way of putting it, if that is what you really meant. It doesn't make sense, or it makes as much sense as saying "speakers are now gone" and then later stating that you meant the grills were removed.
By the way, there is at least one city that has now banned declawing altogether for several different ethical reasons, all of them related to the wellbeing of your cat...One of the reasons has to do with a cat's natural abilty to defend itself, so I guess that is moot if you intend to keep your cat indoors for the rest of its life. But there are other reasons why declawing is not such a great idea.
I'm dwelling on this in the hope of convincing others to think twice before doing the same. There have been several threads about cats and speakers in this forum, so if anyone else is having a problem like this, I would suggest you do a search and you'll find a variety of options.
I myself found balloons worked well. Taping balloons to my speakers and then popping one when my cat got too close definitely made him shy away from them from then on.

PS: Last time I checked I think Klipsch wanted something like $60 each for new grills for my RB-5s. A total rip off, in my opinion.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator

That's usually what replacement parts amount to. Like ordering a car part from the manufacturer. Always way overpriced.

Dave Neff

Auditioning
is this a home theater forum or an ASPCA forum? Look people the cat is fine and very well loved. He had to be in order for me to not get rid of him for what he did to my speakers. We tried a motion activated siren that would trip if he got too close, also we did try the baloons he would wait for us to tape them to the front then pounce on them and destroy every one then chew on the leftovers and swat at us when we tried to get them away for his own good. even a super soaker didn't phase him. Now back to the topic on hand which is Is there an alternative to Klipsch covers? can I get mine reapolstered? any Help?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"is this a home theater forum or an ASPCA forum?"

It's a home theater forum. But when your thread's title suggests that you got rid of your cat, and then in the body of your thread you talk about getting your cat declawed, you shouldn't be suprised when people respond to both the fate of your speakers AND your cat.

To answer your second question: yes there are places that may be willing to reapolster them but it depends on where you live. Try calling local high end shops (if there are any) and ask them if they know of anyone who could do such work. They probably don't want to pay rip off prices anymore than you do.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
all my cats have looked at speakers, especially tower-type units, as glorified scratching posts that make music
sorry, but that must be the second funniest comment ive ever read in an audio forum

the first was a receomendation to a bose owner, about tieing gasoline soaked rags around his bose cubes and use em as tiki torches.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
FYI:

http://www.avar.org/avar_cat_declawing.html

I have three cats. Here's what worked for me: Cover the speakers when not in use. You only have to do this for about a month before the cats figure out that the speakers can't be used as a scratching post. Then take the covers off and you should be good to go. One other partial solution, depending on what kind of speakers you have is, my cats tended to go after the bottom of the speaker 1st, then try to claw their way up to the top. So for the speakers I have now, I permanently have tin foil over the bottom 18" of each speaker (I keep meaning to change it to a plastic garbage bag, visually easier on the eyes, just haven't done that yet. ;) ). Obviously, you don't want to cover any drivers or ports. Also in my experience, cats tend to go after cloth covered corners 1st too, so you just might only have to covers each corner.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I simply can not believe the crap I am reading. It almost
sounds like P.E.T.A (People Eat Tasty Animals, Yuuum) is
rallying here on the HTF..

If it's so bad to declaw a cat then I guess I am a bad guy
also. I put my Doberman under ansthesia to get her ears
cropped. A Doberman in my house with floppy ears? Never
gonna happen. (They aren't born with those pointy ears you
see in movies and pictures and shows..) So I guess I am a
bad guy to put my Dobie under the knife and at 6 weeks old
no less... She came out of it fine and loves her new ears.

Okay so there is some risk of the anethesia.. Aside from
that.. If you keep your cat in the house (where it belongs,
not out roaming the streets fornicating with every other
ally cat it meets)then what is the risk of it not being able
to defend it's self? None..

*Shakes Head* If I had a cat it would be declawed. But that
won't ever be an issue.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"I simply can not believe the crap I am reading. It almost
sounds like P.E.T.A (People Eat Tasty Animals, Yuuum) is
rallying here on the HTF"

Yeah, it "almost sounds like" that, except no one here has mentioned P.E.T.A., or said anything extreme or over the top in defense of animals, like that group is known to do. The link Kevin C. Brown provided is from a group of veterinarians opposed to declawing, not P.E.T.A.

For the most part, the tone in this thread has been civil and free of insults - until your post.

"If you keep your cat in the house (where it belongs,
not out roaming the streets fornicating with every other
ally cat it meets)"

This sounds like you are trying to be the "Dr. Laura" of the pet world. And it also displays a basic lack of knowledge. Anyone concerned about the well-being of their cat or of cats in general would know to have their animal spayed or neutered. Cats that are fixed do not "fornicate" with "every other alley cat" they meet.

Keep shaking your head buddy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, let's keep this thread focused on how to build and maintain a home theater in a house that's also a home to a cat or dog. There's nothing wrong—and everything right—with realizing all of life involves making compromises.

If anyone has further issues with this thread, please take it up with me in private. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks