Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please help diagnose my RPTV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 03:29 AM

I have a Philips Magnavox 60" RPTV that I purchased in 1997. It has always given good service, and I keep it calibrated using the service menu and test disks like Video Essentials. I recently moved, and now that I am operating the television in the new house, several guests have commented that the picture is "cloudy." I didn't notice it myself until a couple of people mentioned it. When I run a test disc, things look pretty good. But when I display an NTSC image, I can see this "cloudiness." It's like bloom, but not from levels being set to high. It's not a sharpness or resolution issue; I can still the scan lines and read small text. It's almost like a halo that just washes out the contrast of the picture, like a very, very thin piece of tracing paper is in front of the whole set. I'm afraid it's something physically wrong with the set, and not an adjstment issue. Any ISF or tech guys out there that can tell me what is going on? Thanks in advance, JK
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 21 2003 - 04:17 AM

Greetings How about cleaning your crt lens and mirror assembly? Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 07:56 AM

I'm willing to give it a try. Do you recommend any particular materials for cleaning? Thanks, John Kilroy

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:30 AM

Well, I cleaned the mirror and lenses using Windex and a soft cloth. They did have a layer of dust that probably got dislodged during the move. The cleaning fixed the problem! The tv loks great. Ironically, I know have to re-calibrate it, since I had slowly been changing the settings to compesate for the dust. Everything is contrasty and too bright now! Thanks for the suggestion. JK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users