What's new

Please help diagnose my RPTV (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Philips Magnavox 60" RPTV that I purchased in 1997. It has always given good service, and I keep it calibrated using the service menu and test disks like Video Essentials. I recently moved, and now that I am operating the television in the new house, several guests have commented that the picture is "cloudy." I didn't notice it myself until a couple of people mentioned it.

When I run a test disc, things look pretty good. But when I display an NTSC image, I can see this "cloudiness." It's like bloom, but not from levels being set to high. It's not a sharpness or resolution issue; I can still the scan lines and read small text. It's almost like a halo that just washes out the contrast of the picture, like a very, very thin piece of tracing paper is in front of the whole set.

I'm afraid it's something physically wrong with the set, and not an adjstment issue. Any ISF or tech guys out there that can tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

JK

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm willing to give it a try. Do you recommend any particular materials for cleaning?

Thanks,

John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I cleaned the mirror and lenses using Windex and a soft cloth. They did have a layer of dust that probably got dislodged during the move. The cleaning fixed the problem! The tv loks great. Ironically, I know have to re-calibrate it, since I had slowly been changing the settings to compesate for the dust. Everything is contrasty and too bright now!

Thanks for the suggestion.

JK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks