What's new

Dolby Pro Logic 1 for music? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I thought pro logic 1 was only for movies, but I just saw my uncle's car and the sound system in it has Dolby Surround Pro Logic. For some reason it seemed to sound better than my old mini system that had pro logic, is there a version of pro logic 1 for music? I thougth only PL II was for msuic.

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pro logic can be applied to any stereo analog source, doesn't matter if it is music or movie. Some movies and TV broadcasts are/were encoded with Dolby Surround, which PL/PLII are designed to decode and make use of.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I know that but for music pro logic normally makes the sound horrible and only works well with movies and TV, but this was in a car that only plays music so why put Pro Logic 1 if it only works well for movies?

Thanks

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
A car deck with a Dolby symbol probably stands for Dolby noise reduction in the cassette deck. I've never heard of pro logic being used in a car.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
No, the sign said "Dolby Surround Pro Logic" just like the sign on my old minisystem.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It absolutely could be done but I've never heard of a car stereo that separates center, main, and surround channels.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Well it did have 3 speakers in front and 2 in the back. This is a very nice car, there's even a different key for each driver and it adjusts the seat, temperature, radio, according to the current driver's last settings. So if his wife likes the seat low and channel 95.9, those settings are automatically applied as soon as she enters the key, then when the other takes the car it switches everything back to his settings!

Marc H

Second Unit
A good stereo recording can sound good in ProLogic, with a tasteful amount of delay on the rear effects. If the recording does not have great stereo seperation then too much comes from the centre channel though IMHO.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Dolby Pro-Logic can be somewhat recording-dependent. Unless the recording itself was specifically recorded in Dolby Surround, then it's a hit-and-miss situation with stereo recordings decoded in Pro-Logic.

RCA used to issue classical recordings in Pro-Logic (or at least Dolby Surround). I have a Henry Mancini Halloween CD single (with a glow-in-the-dark skull on the label side) that was encoded in Dolby Surround. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, it was quite a good demo disc with my AudioSource Dolby Surround decoder and Radio Shack Minimus 7 surround speakers (a classic that I still have).

Users who are viewing this thread