Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone power their DIY Subs with old receivers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 02:04 PM

I always read of people power their subs with plate amps, etc,. but I can't afford to shell out the cost for a plate amp, so I just use an old Pioneer receiver.
I was wondering if anyone else was in the similar situation?
Thanks,
Andrew
-
Wish I had more money

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:02 PM

I originally powered my Tempest with my JVC receiver that was rated at 120 RMS 8 ohms/channel. I used both L and R to power the DVC of the Tempest. I found by using the DVC capabilities of the Tempest with my JVC I was getting a flatter response down to 20Hz than I do now with my Adire AV250 running 4 ohms with the Tempest DVC shorted to 4ohms. But the AV 250 does give me more slam. So I gain in one area and loose in another.
That's my experience.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Cam S

Cam S

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:02 PM

I've heard of alot of people powering subs with old receivers. I didn't have an old one that wasn't in use already so I had no choice but to go with a plate amp, and I'm kinda glad I did as it's more of a complete package.
MOOOOOO

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Joel X

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:33 PM

I power my sub and bass shakers with old receivers and think it is a great idea. No problems here...

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 11:24 PM

I power my Tempest with an old H/K integrated amp. While its not a lot of power, it *can* shake shelves on the walls.

I agree, I think its a great idea if you've got spare amplification hanging around.
My Home Theater (in progress):
JVC AV-32F703 32" TV
JVC XV-SA602SL DVD Player
Harman Kardon AVR 520 Receiver
AR-DIY Loudspeakers Front MainBIC DV62CLRs Ed Frias Modified Center ChannelBIC VI-38 In Wall (ceiling) SurroundsAdire Tempest 122L sealed passive subwoofer powered by a H/K PM650 Integrated AMP....

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 02:30 AM

I power my DIY Tempest Sonosub with an old Kenwood Pro-Logic receiver from college (100W x 2). Works fine. I would recommend using a driver with DVC so that you can use both the left and right channels to get max from the amp.

The only potential problem is HEADROOM. I don't often play DVD's anywhere near reference, but when experimenting with higher levels, I can tell that the sub amp can't keep up as it approaches reference.

If you've got the hardware lying around, I would definitely try it, at least.

JKS
You brought two too many.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   JeffTodd

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 02:43 AM

I power my SVS based sonosub with my old Aiwa prologic receiver (supposedly 100w per)......it works well, but I am hoping to get a plate amp to push it better.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Stuart A.

Stuart A.

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 08:53 AM

What is everyone using for a crossover?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 09:51 AM

Stuart, I don't know about everyone else, but I basically just use the built in crossovers in my receiver and then send it to my older receiver. On my receiver I just turn the treble all the way down the bass at normal. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but it suits my tastes well.
-
Wish I had more money

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ben Ven

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 11:39 AM

I power my sub with an old Pioneer receiver, VSX-9500S. It is rated at 125W per channel. You can run 2 subs if you have an A/B set up on your receiver. I wonder if a plate amp would sound better with my set up?? Anyway, I am too cheap to spend the money on a plate amp Posted Image . The Pioneer seems to have plenty of oomph.
Andrew, at least on my receiver, the tone controls are bypassed when I input the sub signal from my Yamaha receiver to the Pioneer receiver pre amp input. No need to turn down the treble control. FYI.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 03:43 AM

I was doing this last year with an old 10" car sub. It was powered with everything from an old mini-system (!) to a Kenwood 1970's receiver at about 80 - 100 wpc.

For a crossover, I just picked up one of those big $10 coils (capacitor, right?) on a little PCB from an electronics store. It was supposed to block out about 100Hz and up. I built a little box for it, and ran it between the amp and sub. For a ghetto solution, it didn't work too badly.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
What is everyone using for a crossover?
Like others, I just run it straight off the LFE/Sub out from my H/K receiver. The H/K bass management is pretty good (though not as good as the newer models). I have it set at 60hz (my mains will go down to 50 or 55 hz) and includes the bass from the L+R and rears as well as the LFE. The amp I use has a tone bypass switch that I use as well as a "high cut" filter.
My Home Theater (in progress):
JVC AV-32F703 32" TV
JVC XV-SA602SL DVD Player
Harman Kardon AVR 520 Receiver
AR-DIY Loudspeakers Front MainBIC DV62CLRs Ed Frias Modified Center ChannelBIC VI-38 In Wall (ceiling) SurroundsAdire Tempest 122L sealed passive subwoofer powered by a H/K PM650 Integrated AMP....