What's new

Looks like Half-Life 2 will be announced very, very soon.............. (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Someone check the temperature in hell, please. Is that a pig that just flew by? Seriously, did Rockstar sell off the GTA franchise to Nintendo? ;)

I'll believe it when it happens.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
It seems legit, and I've heard that the NDA agreements expire on April 28 -- I guess we'll know by then. But what engine are they using, which platform, and when will it be released?

Ike

Screenwriter
July? Woah. That somehow seems quick, despite the fact that it's been 4 or 5 years.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, allegedly. There's a lot of conjecture going around that it's going to be MUCH sooner than people suspect - literally just a few months - rather than Christmas.

We'll all find out soon enough, I'm not getting bent out of shape by the hype for an announcement...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I really hope there is an Xbox version released very close to the PC premiere. I don't want to upgrade my entire PC for one game again - unfortunately, HL2 would be a game that demands it ;)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I have to admit the part I am most excited about isn't the next Half Life story installment, but curiousity about the engine and tools themselves. The last one gave us DoD, CS, TF, and so many others -- they must be planning some fan service for the mod community this time around.

What if it shipped with a totally new version of CS that ran on the new updated engine with new cheater protection? Man, I would just jump for joy! What if the Xbox version of CS to launch this year was actually based on the HL2 engine instead of the old one? Too many questions, I can't wait for the skinny at E3.

Yet another year of entertainment induced poverty. *Sigh*

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Wow, that's amazing internal security -- to think they could have this out by the end of the year and NO ONE seriously expected it. That's a stark contrast to 3d Realms. I can't wait to see what this engine looks like.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Because of the HDD on the X-Box, I expect there to be mods made by Valve and have them be released (probably on demo discs, like they did for the PS2 Half-Life mod).

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
IF it's coming to X-box -- no word yet. Although I must admit, I'd be seriously hacked off it was an X-box exclusive, even though I have one.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
IF it's coming to X-box -- no word yet. Although I must admit, I'd be seriously hacked off it was an X-box exclusive, even though I have one.
I dunno. This is just wild speculation, but I suspect the engine will be at least on par with the Doom III engine, and I don't think any other console could really pull off Doom III. So if that's the case it'd make sense for HL2 to be Xbox exclusive as well.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ooh, nice, I will have to wait until I graduate to upgrade my computer, but I can hang on. Half-Life 2 will be competing with "Mario Kart is finished" for biggest surprise of E3 if both turn out to be true ;).

I'm looking forward to both the mods AND the story. I loved the single-player in Half-Life, it was gripping stuff and I can only presume Valve has gotten better at it than before.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The biggest surprise they could pull off at E3 would be Metal Gear Solid 3 on GameCube without Raiden. Anything less won't be surprising for me.

James T

Screenwriter
Is Team Fortress 2 still coming out?

The biggest surprise they could pull off at E3 would be Metal Gear Solid 3 on GameCube without Raiden
MGS3 is another game I'm waiting for. I'm just hoping that that NGC exclusive contract was for the MGS1 remake and not MGS3.

So many sequels, so little cash for a PC upgrade.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Here's the teaser for the upcoming issue of the Dutch gaming mag PC Gameplay (due on April 28th):

Note the new character (who is apparently unplayable in the single-player mode). Also note the last line of the red text on the right, which evidently translates to "Best of all, you'll be able to get your hands on it by the end of the year!" Wow.

Edit: For U.S. readers, both CGW and PC Gamer will have this as their cover story next month. The new issue of CGW will ship to subscribers tomorrow and will appear at newsstands on May 6; PC Gamer will be at newsstands May 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks