What's new

NYPD BLUE, the first season and today!! (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I just got done watching the entire box set and I must say it was a revelation getting a chance to see the entire first season over again. For those that became fans of this show in the later years I implore you to watch this box set!

I still love this show and despite what I perceive to be a lull in the series (seasons 4-8) I think that it's still a great show and has been re-invigorated by the cast changes! Immediately what impresses me is the strength of the female detectives. I feel that BLUE has evolved from being a two person show into a full ensemble led by the main "heart and soul" character (Sipowitz) and for that i'm glad. I always thought it should have been more an ensemble.

Though the show is still great to me, I have to admit there's nothing like that first season! If you ever want to see Television at it's finest you need to see this box set!

Dennis Franz has and continues to be great in his role. I guess for me, I had watched David Caruso's performance back then and though I thought he was great, I hadn't realized just how great he was! I have never seen a better television character than Det. John Kelly! He nailed down every bit of that character-- He WAS John Kelly!!! I know Caruso was a pain in the butt for everyone and after watching the documentaries and listening to all the commentaries I'm still somewhat surprised that nearly EVERYONE today still has something to say about Caruso and his on set behavior!

It's a shame that such a talented actor got in the way of himself. Now i've never seen CSI: MIAMI but I can only hope that he's grown in the intervening years. I'll leave it to you that watch CSI to tell me if his character is good in the show. I guess that I was surprised after 10 yrs that there would still be this negative vibe around Caruso! Guess time doesn't heal all wounds?!

One of the things that I gleaned from the box set was the talk of the style of the show! The camera work is really distinctive, which is something I hadn't thought about till watching the documentary. This show really set a new pace and style in direction in television. Kudos to Greg Hoblit for setting that style!

It also talked about language and nudity and I gotta admit that was more prevalent in 93' than it is today! Have we become more prudish or have the producers just decided it wasn't important? On this issue i'm wondering what the rest of the forum member's think?

I really want to encourage those that like this show to purchase this box set or at least rent it or borrow from library. It will definitely be worth your while!!

David

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got the money for it. I just need to find time to get it. Sometime this week definitely. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think I read in an interview with David Caruso where he admits he was a pain. Maybe, him and the Blue producers could make up. Wouldn't that be a ratings hit if Det.Kelly makes a cameo appearance on Blue.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Good point Dave, this series is still one of the best series because of the emsemble of actors and actresses it brings in. The female detectives they have now are excellent,Esai Morales is a fantastic addition,Andy is like the glue that holds it all together. I don't see this series losing steam anytime soon.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Is this a good blind buy, and is it worth it to own or is it just more of a rental? I have never seen NYPD Blue, but I like action/drama's like "24" or the "Shield" and I was a fan of "The Practice" and other shows that rely on drama/crime.

But, is this set a show where you will only want to watch once, or can you see yourself sitting down every year and a half, two years, or maybe three years and enjoying it all over again? I know many love it, but try to be as unbiased as possible, thanks!

Rob T

Screenwriter
Is this a good blind buy, and is it worth it to own or is it just more of a rental? I have never seen NYPD Blue, but I like action/drama's like "24" or the "Shield" and I was a fan of "The Practice" and other shows that rely on drama/crime.

But, is this set a show where you will only want to watch once, or can you see yourself sitting down every year and a half, two years, or maybe three years and enjoying it all over again? I know many love it, but try to be as unbiased as possible, thanks!
I've been watching for many years now and I still love it.
I got the set this morning and I can't wait for this exam week to end so that I can go through it! :D

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

As much as I love NYPD BLUE I wouldn't advise it as a "blind purchase". Reason being, if you're going to make the investment in this show then you really need to love it and know you will re-watch as stated above!

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I like action/drama's like "24" or the "Shield"
Well, The Shield owes a lot to NYPD Blue in terms of language and characterization. The Shield captures a lot of the drama and edginess of early NYPD Blue, but NYPD Blue is more believable in terms of what goes down episode to episode. NYPD Blue, being a full season (rather than The Shield's 13 episodes) isn't as tightly plotted from show to show, but it still has several overarching plotlines going at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks