Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panny DMR-E50 tips?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JakeR

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:29 AM

Hi, all,

Just bit the bullet and procured a Panasonic DMR-E50 component DVD recorder. I'll be picking it up Wednesday. I'm hoping to circumvent an ill-devised manual and solicit some tips on the forum.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Record from VHS to the unit. No editing necessary. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R, if anything? Since I don't plan to muck with the discs again, I'd want one of these two, correct? What's the cheapest online resource for them?

2. Edit a "best of" disc from other tapes, culling from multiple sources. This is possible, right? I would need DVD-RW for this, correct? Again, cost?

Anything else I should know about this player?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:57 AM

Your unit cannot use DVD+R or DVD-RW. If memory serves your recorder uses DVD-R, DVD-RAM with DVD-RAM being the equivalent of a reuseable DVD-RW.

You might want to try www.newegg.com or www.supermediastore.com for good prices on blank DVD media.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Glenn

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 04:23 AM

Hi Jake,

You will want to use DVD-R unless you want re-writable and then you will want DVD-RAM. DVD-RAM for myself is used for recording tv shows that I don't plan to keep and sometimes I also use it if I want to edit on my computer. I also have a DVD-RAM computer deck.

Recording from VHS will be very simple. Just hook up the VHS deck into one of the inputs and you are ready.

You can "edit" using DVD-R by using the pause button. Simple edits are possible this way. The DVD-RAM won't be much easier to do edits but then if you make a mistake you do not waste a disc with DVD-RAM.

Reginald gave you a couple of good sources for blank discs, you might also check, http://www.meritline.com

Good luck,
Glenn
gatorglenn@aol.com

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JakeR

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, guys.

How long is the DVD-R disc? Do any of these come in a clamshell case, as opposed to a jewel case? Thanks.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 12:09 AM

You have the option of 1-hour, 2-hour, 4-hour, 6-hour or flexible, which is anywhere in between 1 and 6. You'll get good results at 1, 2 or flexible in that neighborhood. The clamshell cases have to be bought separately. You can probably download the manual at the Panasonic website, which will give you something to do while you're waiting.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 12:44 AM

and buy the DVD-R blanks online from places like atdiscount and meritline. If you buy it from Best Buy, Radio Shack and/or such places, you're paying a major premium.

DVD-R media can be obtained as low as 70 cents each.

please note that at 6-hour mode, the recorder does NOT use MPEG2 anymore, but MPEG1 (VCD quality).