What's new

Where's the Jack Ryan Remaster's reviews? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paramount usually doesn't allow posting of reviews until at least 10 days before street, which is sometime this week

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's correct what Jeff said about Paramount letting reviews to be posted. I wouldn't expect any reviews to be posted until next weekend since the release date is 5/6/03.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also anxiously waiting for reviews of the new Hunt for Red October SE... it's my most anticipated DVD right now!

Samuel_M

Agent
Greetings:

I can't even begin to describe my anticipation for this boxed set to arrive! :D

I really hope Paramount took the time to clean up the transfers on these, especially on THFRO along with Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

DTS is awesome, but don't take away the thrill and excitement that that brings Paramount by givin' us the same crappy video transfer.

I guess we'll soon find out if they actually paid attention to all the complaints that followed the bare bones releases...looking forward to reading reviews by HTF staff and others on the new set. Please let us know when they come out. Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unfortunately I will not be reviewing these.

I have too many DVD screeners sitting here to
review -- most of which take priority to any
studio reissues.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Ron,

I'd never presume to tell you your business (yeah right...) but considering how long we've been awaiting a new transfer of HfRO and the fact that these are the first DVDs from Paramount with DTS(!), these are not your average re-issues.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul,

Sitting in front of me must be about 20 DVD
titles that await review. Out of those 20
only 6 will get reviewed, because next week, I
will get 10 more.

This job is becoming a huge strain on my life.
The studios are sending me more product that I
could ever review. If I don't review a certain
amount of product from each studio, they revoke
my reviewing privilidges.

Since Paramount and Columbia don't automatically
ship me product, I have the chance to be selective
about what I ask for. I just couldn't fit these
films into my schedule.

I don't plan to split up the chores of reviewing
product for this forum -- but I do see a time in
the very near future where I will probably step down
and hire someone more qualified than myself to do
this job.

Thanks for the interest.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Ron, while I wouldn't mind seeing your reviews being supplemented to take some of the load off you (Jack's review of TDtESS was fantastic), don't ever step down yourself. I haven't been here long enough to see what your early reviews were like, but your current ones are among the best on the net, easily the equal of DigitalBits, IGN, and DVDFile. You may not have had the formal training, but you've sure picked it up anyways.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Ron, if it would help any at all to have an editor just to turn the rough copy of your review into a finished product, I have experience and training in editing and would be happy to volunteer.

Samuel_M

Agent
Hello:

Its understandable why this set may not be reviewed by HTF staff, but hey that's a decision that Ron makes and I certainly respect his right not to review it given all that he has said.

But I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of folks who beg to differ because I know this is a something that a lot of Jack Ryan fans have been anticipating for some time. Plus since this is Paramount's first stab at DTS, there will be a lot of interest as to how good of a job they did when they went back and remastered the audio as well as how good the new anamorphic transfer is...

Since we know that we won't see a review from the HTF, I'd still like to hear if and when other sites post their reviews. Hopefully the Bits, IGN, or some other DVD site will be on top of this and give us a heads up before we go out and plunk down our money on what looks to be a great box set.

I guess we'll all find out soon enough! :)

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Perhaps Ron can post another thread about what to review next? I am sure many people on this forum are intrested in these titles, at the very least hfro.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
A reviewer acquaintance of mine has written reviews for the new Patriot Games, The Hunt for Red October, and Clear and Present Danger releases, but he says they can't go 'live' until 4/26.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
very disappointed to hear the picture quality falls short of what we know paramount can deliver. where's warner/wamo when you need them :frowning:

still, to be fair, this is just one review. perhaps the softness & drabness was intentional. we'll see ...

but EE ? ... tsk,tsk,tsk ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks