What's new

3803 and enclosed cabinet? (1 Viewer)

Larry Marq

Grip
Can these things handle being in an enclosed cabinet? I've got about 3" clearance above and maybe 1.5" on the sides w/ a cloth back. It definitely gets warm in there. I'm thinking of putting the receiver on top, though it looks much cleaner inside. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Larry

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Receivers generate heat, and they need ventilation. I would not place one in the enclosure that you've described. The top and side clearances sound OK, but with the back sealed off, there just won't be enough air circulation.

M.

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
you can supplement with a computer cooling fan (12v) such as DF1208SL, its a 80mm, would fit in between the space, put it in vertical facing the front opening, and you could hook it up to the switched outlet on the Denon. It has a rating of 26.9 dB noise, it's bearable and keep the unit cool enough to the touch. It works great on my wall unit. Hope it helps!

Larry Marq

Grip
The back is not actually closed off, it's quite open...it has one of those breathable black cloth velcroed on type covers, that doesn't fit very well due to all the cables coming out of the back. I might still invest in a fan just to be safe...

Thanks, Larry

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I hear you Larry. I just put mine in an entertainment wall unit. It is closed up all around, BUT I have 3-4 inches behind the unit. I have a couple inches on each side and in front of the 3803. The biggest thing is I moved the glass shelf up another notch going from 3 inches to 6 inches of clearance over the 3803. The temps between the glass shelf and the 3803 have gone down easily 15-20 degrees. There are two holes in the back of the entertainment center. I also have 2-3 inches behind each glass shelf where the warm air can rise all the way up to the top of the entertainment center but not out.

Before I moved the shelf, I was thinking of putting one of those 80mm computer fans I have laying around at this tallest point to funnel out the warm air after it's worked its way up. This won't be blowing on the 3803 itself, but it would keep cooler air running around it. After feeling the difference in temperature, I'm not sure I need it. If you can't get more clearance above your 3803, I would recommend the fan, but first try to get more space above your 3803. It really has made a good bit of difference in my enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks