What's new

How is the Denon 2802 receiver? (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Is it loud enough?

I have a Sony STRDE545, and wanna know if this is a good upgrade purchase, as it is affordable for me.

Will the decrease from 100w to 90w per channel make a difference?

Also, what difference is there in having only 6 channel power amps, compared to having 7?

Please can someone answer these questions for me, as I am not clear on them.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Daniel: IF and that is kinda a big IF, the specs are truely comparable (which means some receivers don't always measure up to their ratings) then no, going from 90 to 100 watts per channel will not make an audible difference in volume. (You cannot make relative comparisons of where the volume control settings are either. The control setting is not an indicator of available power.)

It takes twice as much power to raise volume by just 3 decibels (which is not much of a change.) IOW, one would need 100 watts/ch to raise the volume by 3 db over a 50 watts/ch unit.

Going from 6 to 7 amps just helps to do a more complete job of making the rear soundstage image better. You would use 2 rear center speakers instead of one. (It is important to remember though that both speakers are sent the same mono signal for DD-EX or DTS-ES.)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is no comparison between the two. The amp section on the 2802 will be significantly better than the 545. If you want to talk TRUE output, the 2802's rating is much more realistic than the 545s "claimed" 100wpc. You will not be stepping down, but rather up, in terms of quality sound.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I would say the Denon would definitly improve the sound of your system compared with the Sony. The Sony may say it has 100 w however I seriously doubt it does. The Denon's rating is more accuarate. And the built quality I would think is superb compared to that of the Sony.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I guess it's a no brainer then, as the extra channel is what I am after, and the power is not such an issue for me.

Again, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks