What's new

Dolby pro logic vs. 5.1 and DTS (1 Viewer)

BrianHo

Agent
I'm fairly new at this home theater stuff. I have an older Technics that only has Dolby Pro Logic. Is there a big difference between this and Dolby digital 5.1 and DTS. Any help would be very appreciated.

Brian

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
For prologic vs. 5.1 surround (DTS or DD), three words will suffice as an answer: MY GOD, YES!!

DTS, if properly mastered, can be superior to Dolby Digital, to these ears.

Now, there is the next step in surround sound: DTS-ES (Discrete & Matrix) and Dolby Digital EX (Matrix only). Both formats supply you with a center back surround channel (can also be used for non ES DTS tracks and non EX Dolby Digital encoded movies with aggressive stereo surround effects mixing), however DTS-ES can present you with a back surround channel that is discrete and full bandwidth (the software and the processor must support the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 format; any DVD player capable of outputting a normal DTS digital bitstream is necessary also).

Given a decently sized room, DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX can add a good deal of surround envelopment impact to your movie experience.

Go here for a pretty up to date listing of DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX titles: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=19190

Dan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you haven't already done so, I suggest spending some time with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ. It contains extensive information on this and other questions you've been asking. Use the link below.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks