What's new

Any news on Dial M For Murder? (1 Viewer)

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Quite a while ago, it was rumored on thedigitalbits.com that Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder was being prepped for a 2003 release.

Has anything been announced or any update to the rumors? Any idea on what kind of special features are planned? Thanks!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yes I too remember reading about a dvd restoration around the time they remastered To Catch A Thief. Dial M For Murder is a great Hitchcock film that deserves the treatment North By Northwest got.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I doubt if it will be in 3-D though. I saw it at the New York Film Forum. Dual projection 3-D with excellent color and sharp 3-D.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I don't mind if it's not 3D... in fact, if they do manage some sort of 3D release, I hope they also include a non-3D version. The first time I saw it, I didn't even know it was supposed to be 3D and I loved it. I think the gimmick could be distracting (though I would love to have a 3D version if they could figure out a way).

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Not Hitch's best, but eminently watchable. I got a chance to see it in 3D back in the 70's at a neighborhood revival house, and although Hitch didn't milk the gimmick, there were several effective 3D shots....

Cheers

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I watched a minute of the film on TV and it looked hideous. If it takes until 2004 to get a watchable DVD, fine with me. Robert Burks was an excellent cinematographer (Vertigo, Psycho, North By Northwest, The Trouble With Harry, etc... beautiful stuff!) and his photography needs to be seen well.

Brandon, who are you interested in seeing the most in this film? ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
yes, as Patrick has stated; do the release right and with respect and care and we'll buy this gem and be proud of it. I'm in the camp that feels Dial M is one of Hitchcocks best. The detective who I can't remember the name?! was also cast in To Catch A Thief, and nearly steals the show in DMFM. Terrific cast, screenplay, and direction. :emoji_thumbsup:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm off to a conference so I don't have time to really answer right now, but off the top of my head

1975 - Jaws

1977 - Star Wars

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1995 - Toy Story

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Since Warner just announced a flat HOUSE OF WAX DVD even though thousands of people have signed on line petitions stating 3-D was important to them, I am sure any DIAL M DVD will be flat only. Perhaps no one reads them?

I guess they would rather the bootleggers continue to sell illegal copies of the field sequential 3-D version they released a decade ago on VHD disc in Japan. Those bootleggers are selling a LOT of copies, too.

A dual flat and 3-D release on DVD is not difficult at all.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
It's really a matter of economics I think. Buying the necessary equipment to see the film in 3D on your television is not inexpensive. A couple of hundred bucks?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Since Warner just announced a flat HOUSE OF WAX DVD
Tomorrow's release of Kiss Me Kate is flat as well; isn't it supposed to be 3-D? Throwing dishes and cups at the camera and so-forth? It's been 20 years since I watched this, though...I might have it mixed up with something else.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Peter, the "equipment" for 3-D is not anywhere near that expensive! The systems (box and 2 pairs of glasses) can be purchased for under $50.00!

The cheapest way is to buy one of the box sets of 3-D DVDs; these contain 3 3-D DVDs plus the 3-D box and 2 pairs of glasses. Retails at $99.99, but can easily be found for under $70.00. Since the discs themselves sell for $19.99 each seperately, it's the best way to go. Just avoid the ones that have flat movies in them!

Yes, KISS ME KATE is another 3-D movie being released in flat form only. It has been shown in the original 3-D at revival theatres in recent years however. The film used the process quite well, and not just for gimmicks, though there are quite a few of them. At least KATE still has something to offer when modified to flat form; unlike stuff like JAWS 3-D or TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS in which the stereoscopic aspect was the sole reason for the films to exist.

Anyway, I think when true HD DVD comes in, some of the studios may be more open to the idea of 3-D. I think the reason they are holding off is that they feel the field sequential technnology isn't quite good enough with NTSC, and to an extent they are correct.

If they are content to let the bootleggers make money selling illegal copies of their 3-D movies in the meantime, then I guess there isn't much anyone can do.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Something else that could give 3-D DVD another kick in the pants is some fairly high-profile 3-D films coming out - Spy Kids 3-D and Cameron's Ghosts Of The Abyss will likely have video releases by the end of the year, and if Disney opts to release those with 3-D versions on DVD, that could move a lot of glasses/boxes, making 3-D versions of other films a better proposition for other studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks