Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any news on Dial M For Murder?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 08:06 AM

Quite a while ago, it was rumored on thedigitalbits.com that Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder was being prepped for a 2003 release.

Has anything been announced or any update to the rumors? Any idea on what kind of special features are planned? Thanks!

#2 of 22 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 09:04 AM

I'm curious too.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#3 of 22 Allan Mack

Allan Mack

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 05:52 PM

Me too.

#4 of 22 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,629 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 06:13 PM

Yes I too remember reading about a dvd restoration around the time they remastered To Catch A Thief. Dial M For Murder is a great Hitchcock film that deserves the treatment North By Northwest got.

#5 of 22 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 19 2003 - 09:14 PM

I, of course, am very much interested in this film's potential release. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 22 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,164 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 19 2003 - 11:46 PM

I doubt if it will be in 3-D though. I saw it at the New York Film Forum. Dual projection 3-D with excellent color and sharp 3-D.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#7 of 22 John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 01:51 AM

I don't mind if it's not 3D... in fact, if they do manage some sort of 3D release, I hope they also include a non-3D version. The first time I saw it, I didn't even know it was supposed to be 3D and I loved it. I think the gimmick could be distracting (though I would love to have a 3D version if they could figure out a way).

#8 of 22 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 02:37 AM

I am curious as well

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 22 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:02 AM

The original elements were/are in terrible shape. Maybe it is taking longer than expected...

Gordy

#10 of 22 Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted April 20 2003 - 06:28 AM

Not Hitch's best, but eminently watchable. I got a chance to see it in 3D back in the 70's at a neighborhood revival house, and although Hitch didn't milk the gimmick, there were several effective 3D shots....

Cheers
My DVDs

#11 of 22 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted April 20 2003 - 07:28 AM

I watched a minute of the film on TV and it looked hideous. If it takes until 2004 to get a watchable DVD, fine with me. Robert Burks was an excellent cinematographer (Vertigo, Psycho, North By Northwest, The Trouble With Harry, etc... beautiful stuff!) and his photography needs to be seen well.

Brandon, who are you interested in seeing the most in this film? Posted Image

#12 of 22 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 08:51 AM

Brandon, who are you interested in seeing the most in this film?
I'm guessing Ray Milland. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#13 of 22 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,629 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 05:15 PM

yes, as Patrick has stated; do the release right and with respect and care and we'll buy this gem and be proud of it. I'm in the camp that feels Dial M is one of Hitchcocks best. The detective who I can't remember the name?! was also cast in To Catch A Thief, and nearly steals the show in DMFM. Terrific cast, screenplay, and direction. Posted Image

#14 of 22 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 20 2003 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
This signature brought to you by the academy awards. Proudly choosing the wrong best picture every year since 1975!

Just out of curiosity, George: What would be your picks for those years (1975-2002)?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 22 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 10:51 PM

Well I'm off to a conference so I don't have time to really answer right now, but off the top of my head

1975 - Jaws

1977 - Star Wars

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1995 - Toy Story
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#16 of 22 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 03:32 AM

Since Warner just announced a flat HOUSE OF WAX DVD even though thousands of people have signed on line petitions stating 3-D was important to them, I am sure any DIAL M DVD will be flat only. Perhaps no one reads them?

I guess they would rather the bootleggers continue to sell illegal copies of the field sequential 3-D version they released a decade ago on VHD disc in Japan. Those bootleggers are selling a LOT of copies, too.

A dual flat and 3-D release on DVD is not difficult at all.

#17 of 22 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 03:50 AM

It's really a matter of economics I think. Buying the necessary equipment to see the film in 3D on your television is not inexpensive. A couple of hundred bucks?

#18 of 22 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
Since Warner just announced a flat HOUSE OF WAX DVD
Tomorrow's release of Kiss Me Kate is flat as well; isn't it supposed to be 3-D? Throwing dishes and cups at the camera and so-forth? It's been 20 years since I watched this, though...I might have it mixed up with something else.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 22 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 06:05 AM

Peter, the "equipment" for 3-D is not anywhere near that expensive! The systems (box and 2 pairs of glasses) can be purchased for under $50.00!

The cheapest way is to buy one of the box sets of 3-D DVDs; these contain 3 3-D DVDs plus the 3-D box and 2 pairs of glasses. Retails at $99.99, but can easily be found for under $70.00. Since the discs themselves sell for $19.99 each seperately, it's the best way to go. Just avoid the ones that have flat movies in them!

Yes, KISS ME KATE is another 3-D movie being released in flat form only. It has been shown in the original 3-D at revival theatres in recent years however. The film used the process quite well, and not just for gimmicks, though there are quite a few of them. At least KATE still has something to offer when modified to flat form; unlike stuff like JAWS 3-D or TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS in which the stereoscopic aspect was the sole reason for the films to exist.

Anyway, I think when true HD DVD comes in, some of the studios may be more open to the idea of 3-D. I think the reason they are holding off is that they feel the field sequential technnology isn't quite good enough with NTSC, and to an extent they are correct.

If they are content to let the bootleggers make money selling illegal copies of their 3-D movies in the meantime, then I guess there isn't much anyone can do.

#20 of 22 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 06:24 AM

Something else that could give 3-D DVD another kick in the pants is some fairly high-profile 3-D films coming out - Spy Kids 3-D and Cameron's Ghosts Of The Abyss will likely have video releases by the end of the year, and if Disney opts to release those with 3-D versions on DVD, that could move a lot of glasses/boxes, making 3-D versions of other films a better proposition for other studios.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Forum Nav Content I Follow