-

Photo
- - - - -

new to HTF, need advice on DVD player and Receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 andy ball

andy ball

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 09:10 PM

I finally talked my wife into converting the dining room area of our home to a home theater room. We never really used it anyway. I framed in 2 walls to enclose the space. For the door, I went with a solid core interior door and I am going to put on a spring loaded hinge, so it will be in the closed position most of the time.

For the TV, I just bought a Pioneer SD643HD5. I hope it was a good choice. It had a good review on this site, and was $2400, new.

So now I need to pick out a receiver and a new DVD player. To test the TV and make sure that it was functional, I watched Gladiator on my old RCA POS DVD player, and I could see that I was going to need to get a prog scan.
I am open to all suggestions that are less than 300. I am not brand sensitive.

For the receiver, I need to be in the sub 400$ category, but would like the 6.1. I found a Pioneer 811 on ebay for 240, but again, if you guys have a suggestion, I am open to them.

I already have all of my speakers that I plan on using, they are JBL mains and Cambridge Soundworks rear surround. I chose them because I already have them, but I am frame building in the Entertainment unit and the speakers will be hidden behind a panel, so I can easily change them out later, as long as they fit on the shelf. Oh and I have a 15" AudioSource Sub, that for me sounds like plenty of bass.

The room is 11 x 17, with a 9 foot ceiling tat is flat. I plan on putting 2 lay-z-boys for the front row, and a sleeper sofa on a raised up platform for the 2nd row people. I built a platform for the TV to sit on so it will be raised off the floor 10 inches to give a more theater feel. Once Drywall is in, the whole room will be painted black and I am putting 4 2x8 foot acoustical panels covered with cloth on the ceiling and 2 on the front wall to hide speakers and xbox and dvd's. The receiver and center channel and dvd player will be on a shelf just above the TV, out of reach of my 2 year old, who wanted to see what a sandwich would do in her VCR.

I think I have covered it all, sorry for the long post. I am going to be bidding/shopping for the Receiver and DVD player this week, so if you have a recommendation, make it quick before I make a mistake.

And one side note, I am a dishnetwork PVR guy. So I am getting a second PVR508 for this room( 60 hours record time). I am not ready yet to get a HD receiver, maybe later, but I love the ability to PVR a PayPerView movie and watch it whenever. It has S-Video out, so I will have to see how that goes on the big TV. Lets hope it is OK.

#2 of 5 James St

James St

Supporting Actor

• 959 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forum Andy. I have the 53" version of your tv and have been pleased with it. For a receiver in your price range with 6.1 capabilities I would check out the new Pioneer VSX-D912K. For a dvd player, the prices are dropping on the Panasonic RP-91. It's an older model with a price tag a little over your range but if you can find a good deal many here would agree that it would be a worthy addition.

#3 of 5 andy ball

andy ball

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 08:33 AM

Thanks, How is the 912K different from a 811S? also, if I get a pioneer receiver, should I stick with that brand and get a pioneer DVD player?

#4 of 5 Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 02:08 PM

Well, if you aren't against referbs, www.accesories4less.com is a warranteed and autorized dealer for Marantz refurbs. A sr5200 (which I currently have and love despite it coming in not working, but that problem has been fixed) should be well under your budget. I think they even have the next model up for under $400. They are both have 6 powered channels with 6.1 and 7.1 output capabilities.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

#5 of 5 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 04:31 PM

No need to get the same model for dvd player and receiver. and actually the pioneer players ahve gotten bad reviews for PQ. If you can find a panasonic RP-82 thats a great player.
Cheers

John