-

Photo

Why no Widescreen for "Flight of the Phoenix"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 09:05 PM

My initial delight at the news that one of my favourite films "Flight of the Phoenix" was going to be released soon on DVD turned to dismay when I learned that it was coming out only in the 4:3 'Fullframe' format. Does anyone know why Fox have chosen to do this? To me, it seems highly unlikely that an 'outdoor' type colour film made in 1965 would be on anything other than Widescreen on its Cinema release. So what is the answer?
Arun Vajpey

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 18 2003 - 10:03 PM

imdb.com lists the OAR as 1.85:1.

I can't speak for them, but it was my understanding that in the last chat with Fox on this board it was said that they would always continue to release an OAR version for all their DVDs. Since I cannot find any spec lists that actually mention AR, I'm at a lost to help further.

Where did you get the information that it will be fool screen?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 8 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,646 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 18 2003 - 10:07 PM

Arun,
According to Lasersedge this dvd release will indeed be anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 01:37 AM

Thanks Mr.Conway and Mr.Crawford. It appears like the Foxstore site advertised this and some other recent releases (like 'North to Alaska') as being on P&S format and a lot of European based sites picked up on that. Certainly, almost all the on-line dealers from whom we Europeans (quite legally, I assure you) get our R1 DVDs have both 'Flight of the Phoenix' and 'North to Alaska' as being on Fullscreen 4:3 only. The most popular site in these parts for R1 DVDs is www.play.com based in Jersey. They have these films as 4:3 as do most others, I understand. But as Mr Crawford says, Laseredge have the James Stewart film as being on 2.35:1 anamorphic and so, a lot of us are keeping our fingers crossed.
Arun Vajpey

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,325 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 19 2003 - 11:54 PM

It will be 1.85:1 not 2.35:1.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   TedD

TedD

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 01:31 AM

OAR was 1.85:1 flat.

Ted

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:04 AM

Am I right in saying that this will be the first time the film has been available in OAR? The only Laserdisc edition was released in 1985 in 1.33:1 wasn't it? It will be interesting to see the restoration comparison.

Gordy

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 05:19 PM

I have Flight of the Phoenix on laserdisc and it was a 1.33:1 release on that format.