What's new

Why no Widescreen for "Flight of the Phoenix"? (1 Viewer)

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
My initial delight at the news that one of my favourite films "Flight of the Phoenix" was going to be released soon on DVD turned to dismay when I learned that it was coming out only in the 4:3 'Fullframe' format. Does anyone know why Fox have chosen to do this? To me, it seems highly unlikely that an 'outdoor' type colour film made in 1965 would be on anything other than Widescreen on its Cinema release. So what is the answer?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
imdb.com lists the OAR as 1.85:1.

I can't speak for them, but it was my understanding that in the last chat with Fox on this board it was said that they would always continue to release an OAR version for all their DVDs. Since I cannot find any spec lists that actually mention AR, I'm at a lost to help further.

Where did you get the information that it will be fool screen?

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mr.Conway and Mr.Crawford. It appears like the Foxstore site advertised this and some other recent releases (like 'North to Alaska') as being on P&S format and a lot of European based sites picked up on that. Certainly, almost all the on-line dealers from whom we Europeans (quite legally, I assure you) get our R1 DVDs have both 'Flight of the Phoenix' and 'North to Alaska' as being on Fullscreen 4:3 only. The most popular site in these parts for R1 DVDs is www.play.com based in Jersey. They have these films as 4:3 as do most others, I understand. But as Mr Crawford says, Laseredge have the James Stewart film as being on 2.35:1 anamorphic and so, a lot of us are keeping our fingers crossed.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Am I right in saying that this will be the first time the film has been available in OAR? The only Laserdisc edition was released in 1985 in 1.33:1 wasn't it? It will be interesting to see the restoration comparison.

Gordy

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I have Flight of the Phoenix on laserdisc and it was a 1.33:1 release on that format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks