Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Treasure Island, extras=not a sausage :(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 12:22 PM

Read reviews on www.dvdfile.com and www.dvdreview.com and this disc gets good reviews technically, but the only extras on the disc are the previews. Personally, I'm extremely disappointed. TI deserves the same treatment that 20,000 Leagues is getting. I know the movie is the thing, but at a MSRP of $29.99 I was at least expecting a featurette or vintage Disneyland show. Should've been $19.99. Very disappointing Posted Image

Edit: If anything they should've put it with Treasure Planet ala Truth about Charlie/Charade.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 18 2003 - 02:40 PM

Disney will probably do an SE in a few years...

While it's nice they did a great transfer, they should have made it a full out special edition. It's their first all live action feature (not to mention one of their best) and needs special treatment.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:01 PM

Sausage?
Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:18 PM

I'm sorry, but at $29.99 with no extras, I will definately pass on this (regardless of any review), especially since this release is just to quickly cash-in on the "Treasure Planet" DVD release (which also should have gotten a 2-Disc release, but I digress).

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but at $29.99 with no extras, I will definately pass on this

How is that different than most Criterions at the same price point, which also often have no extras?
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#6 of 19 ONLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Disney will probably do an SE in a few years...

You believe this because...?
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 04:39 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what "sausage" meant.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 05:15 PM

Colin, I say this because it's only natural for Disney to release an expensive bare-bones DVD then do an SE in 5 years.

Remember...it originally cost $40 to get Pinocchio while it only had a trailer and a good transfer (flawless compression, though). An SE is coming for about $24.

Disney knows we're gullible to spend the money, then spend it again.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 05:45 PM

I think the 1934 Victor Fleming version is better. Any chance that one is going to come out any time soon?

#10 of 19 ONLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 06:08 PM

Quote:
Colin, I say this because it's only natural for Disney to release an expensive bare-bones DVD then do an SE in 5 years.

Remember...it originally cost $40 to get Pinocchio while it only had a trailer and a good transfer (flawless compression, though). An SE is coming for about $24.

Apples and oranges, as they say. When Disney put out Pinocchio, they displayed less of a commitment to DVD. It came as part of their initial batch of animated flicks, and they clearly put much less care into those early discs.

That was Disney's DVD stance in 1999. This is 2003. Totally different ballgame.

Plus, Pinocchio's ever-so-slightly more popular than Treasure Island. Disney are much more likely to revisit a "perennial" known by everyone like that they than are a fairly obscure flick like Island.

And if Disney worked the way you believe, why would they have put out last year's "Vault Disney" titles in such a manner? According to you, they should have released bare-bones versions and then sold us SEs later. They didn't - why would they do so for a marginal title like Island?

Look at it this way: if Treasure Planet didn't exist, would we even have the current version of Island? Probably not. I firmly believe that this is it for Island. If Disney wanted to make a SE, they'd do it now. I'd be absolutely shocked if they put out a deluxe version of this title EVER. They didn't do one on LD, they're not doing it when it's most likely to attract attention - that is, now - so why would they do it later? Your reasoning is based on cynicism, not logic...
Colin Jacobson

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 06:40 PM

That's why I found it odd...they must have some future plan anticipated.

Treasure Island is just as popular as films like Swiss Family Robinson and Old Yeller. The fact they gave it only a remaster and a remix point to that they might rather do an SE in the future. It's odd for them to do this title this way...it's unlike their usual type of releases for this era.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Karl F

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 06:45 PM

Not a Sausage:

Phrs. Absolutely nothing. Derived from the Cockney rhyming slang sausage and mash, meaning cash, thus originally 'not having a sausage' indicated having no money.

From this U.K. slang site.

--K

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 10:56 PM

You mean they should have released a twin pack of Treasure Island and Treasure Planet like this French release? (which also includes the Novel 'Treasure Island' - in French of course).

Posted Image
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 03:38 AM

Wasn't there a 10 hour Return to Treasure Island
that ran on the Disney Channel in the late 80's. That seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.
If it exists, it would also make a nice companion DVD.
Best
Greg

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 03:46 AM

They should package it with Muppet Treasure Island. Tim Curry is a hoot.

#16 of 19 ONLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Treasure Island is just as popular as films like Swiss Family Robinson and Old Yeller. The fact they gave it only a remaster and a remix point to that they might rather do an SE in the future. It's odd for them to do this title this way...it's unlike their usual type of releases for this era.

I disagree that Island is as popular as the two you mentioned, especially Yeller - that film's regarded as a classic. As I mentioned, I don't see Island as a title that would receive much attention without Planet.

As for it being unusual, I don't see why you feel that way either. Though it came out a few years later, something like Moon-Spinners is from the same general era, and it received poor treatment on DVD. It's not like EVERY catalog title of a Disney live-action flick gets an SE.

I remain very doubtful they'd revisit this title as an SE. Like I mentioned, they never did one for it in the past, and why would they save it for a time AFTER they've lost a natural promotional tie-in?
Colin Jacobson

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 04:57 AM

Im sure many online and B&M retailers will have this for $19.99
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 05:03 AM

I'll probably wait till this one is available for enrollment at Columbia House. Too expensive for what you get otherwise.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 05:25 AM

Quote:
How is that different than most Criterions at the same price point, which also often have no extras?

Well, I cut Criterion some slack since:

A) They are not a billion dollar company that makes the films they release.

B) They don't have a 80+ year old film archive at their instant disposal.

C) They don't have huge media/advertising access, thus justifying a higher than usual price on their discs. (Everyone I know has heard of, and seen, Disney's "Treasure Island", nobody I know has heard of "Pepe Le Moko".)

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow