What's new

Treasure Island, extras=not a sausage :( (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Read reviews on www.dvdfile.com and www.dvdreview.com and this disc gets good reviews technically, but the only extras on the disc are the previews. Personally, I'm extremely disappointed. TI deserves the same treatment that 20,000 Leagues is getting. I know the movie is the thing, but at a MSRP of $29.99 I was at least expecting a featurette or vintage Disneyland show. Should've been $19.99. Very disappointing :angry:

Edit: If anything they should've put it with Treasure Planet ala Truth about Charlie/Charade.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Disney will probably do an SE in a few years...

While it's nice they did a great transfer, they should have made it a full out special edition. It's their first all live action feature (not to mention one of their best) and needs special treatment.

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, but at $29.99 with no extras, I will definately pass on this (regardless of any review), especially since this release is just to quickly cash-in on the "Treasure Planet" DVD release (which also should have gotten a 2-Disc release, but I digress).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Colin, I say this because it's only natural for Disney to release an expensive bare-bones DVD then do an SE in 5 years.

Remember...it originally cost $40 to get Pinocchio while it only had a trailer and a good transfer (flawless compression, though). An SE is coming for about $24.

Disney knows we're gullible to spend the money, then spend it again.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I think the 1934 Victor Fleming version is better. Any chance that one is going to come out any time soon?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I say this because it's only natural for Disney to release an expensive bare-bones DVD then do an SE in 5 years.

Remember...it originally cost $40 to get Pinocchio while it only had a trailer and a good transfer (flawless compression, though). An SE is coming for about $24.
Apples and oranges, as they say. When Disney put out Pinocchio, they displayed less of a commitment to DVD. It came as part of their initial batch of animated flicks, and they clearly put much less care into those early discs.

That was Disney's DVD stance in 1999. This is 2003. Totally different ballgame.

Plus, Pinocchio's ever-so-slightly more popular than Treasure Island. Disney are much more likely to revisit a "perennial" known by everyone like that they than are a fairly obscure flick like Island.

And if Disney worked the way you believe, why would they have put out last year's "Vault Disney" titles in such a manner? According to you, they should have released bare-bones versions and then sold us SEs later. They didn't - why would they do so for a marginal title like Island?

Look at it this way: if Treasure Planet didn't exist, would we even have the current version of Island? Probably not. I firmly believe that this is it for Island. If Disney wanted to make a SE, they'd do it now. I'd be absolutely shocked if they put out a deluxe version of this title EVER. They didn't do one on LD, they're not doing it when it's most likely to attract attention - that is, now - so why would they do it later? Your reasoning is based on cynicism, not logic...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That's why I found it odd...they must have some future plan anticipated.

Treasure Island is just as popular as films like Swiss Family Robinson and Old Yeller. The fact they gave it only a remaster and a remix point to that they might rather do an SE in the future. It's odd for them to do this title this way...it's unlike their usual type of releases for this era.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
Not a Sausage:

Phrs. Absolutely nothing. Derived from the Cockney rhyming slang sausage and mash, meaning cash, thus originally 'not having a sausage' indicated having no money.

From this U.K. slang site.

--K

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Wasn't there a 10 hour Return to Treasure Island
that ran on the Disney Channel in the late 80's. That seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.
If it exists, it would also make a nice companion DVD.
Best
Greg

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Treasure Island is just as popular as films like Swiss Family Robinson and Old Yeller. The fact they gave it only a remaster and a remix point to that they might rather do an SE in the future. It's odd for them to do this title this way...it's unlike their usual type of releases for this era.
I disagree that Island is as popular as the two you mentioned, especially Yeller - that film's regarded as a classic. As I mentioned, I don't see Island as a title that would receive much attention without Planet.

As for it being unusual, I don't see why you feel that way either. Though it came out a few years later, something like Moon-Spinners is from the same general era, and it received poor treatment on DVD. It's not like EVERY catalog title of a Disney live-action flick gets an SE.

I remain very doubtful they'd revisit this title as an SE. Like I mentioned, they never did one for it in the past, and why would they save it for a time AFTER they've lost a natural promotional tie-in?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'll probably wait till this one is available for enrollment at Columbia House. Too expensive for what you get otherwise.

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
How is that different than most Criterions at the same price point, which also often have no extras?
Well, I cut Criterion some slack since:

A) They are not a billion dollar company that makes the films they release.

B) They don't have a 80+ year old film archive at their instant disposal.

C) They don't have huge media/advertising access, thus justifying a higher than usual price on their discs. (Everyone I know has heard of, and seen, Disney's "Treasure Island", nobody I know has heard of "Pepe Le Moko".)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks