What's new

Help me choose between adding an AMP or upgrading reciever? (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Hi,

First I will like to thank all the people that help me when I started here, I'm sure because of HTF and all of you guys I spend my money wisely (well with HT you never know how good investment your are doing) but I think I got the best deals I could get, because of your advice.

My current 5.1 setup is the following

Center = JBL S center
Mains and Surrounds = JBL S26
Sub = SVS 25-2PCi
Receiver = Marantz SR6200

But I'm thinking on improving my setup, my two choices are

A) Adding and amp Outlaw 755
B) Changing the receiver (SR6200 to SR8200)

But I dont know which will give a better outcome in my setup (not only power, but overall soundquality/power)

Where I havent decided completly is the 755 has 200W driving five speakers, but Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 150 Watts for the JBL S26, so i dont know if an extra 50W will overdrive them. Also I dont know the outcome of marantz + outlaw, is it going to have the same musical warm sound that the SR6200 has or maybe is better just to change my SR6200 to an SR8200 to keep the sound as it is with a little more power.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Pablo Abularach

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Don't worry about "too much" power. Especially if the Marantz has all the features you want, the amp will help the sound much more. But also, have you considered upgrading your speakers? That'd be a more obvious improvement, if you can handle the cost in money and space.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Speakers do make a great inprovement....other than that I would add an amp rather than buy a new receiver. Once you add the amp down the line you can just get a nice pre/pro and have true seperates.

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
Definatly the amp. I don't believe you can have to much power. Just don't turn it up to eleven. More power=better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks