What's new

TV Mini-series Request Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've always been a big fan of the TV mini-series format. Recently we have seen some of these get a DVD release, but IMHO there are a lot yet to see a release. The Studios are going seemingly full bore with the release of TV shows, so I believe that the mini-series deserves just as much attention. Here are some examples of Mini-series already released:

1. Roots
2. QB 7
3. The Blue and The Gray
4. I Claudius
5. War and Remembrance

The following list are my favorite Mini-series that have not been released to the best of my knowledge. They are in no particular order:

1. North and South Book 1
2. North and South Book 2
3. Queen
4. Chiefs
5. I'll Take Manhattan
6. Masada
7. Sybil - stunning portrayal by Sally Field
8. Helter Skelter
9. Winds of War - apparently to see a release late 2003
10. Thorn Birds - apparently in the works
11. Holocaust
12. Favorite Son - somewhat daring at the time of broadcast
13. George Washington
14. Noble House
15. Eleanor and Franklin
16, Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years
17. The Adams Chronicles - if the attitude of the rights holder WNET is any indication, this may not ever see a release.
18. House of Cards - To Play the King - The Final Cut Trilogy -- apparently in the works

Additions and discussion is invited. Thanks.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My request:

-The First Olympics: Athens 1896 (NBC miniseries 1984)
-Earth Star Voyager (Disney tv mini-series)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised "Rich Man, Poor Man" isn't on your list. Also, don't forget Shogun is coming!

For a list of 252 mini-series that aired, and which of them are known to be on DVD already, click here!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
No-brainer for the top of the list. "Backstairs At The White House" which has been totally suppressed since it's second airing on NBC in 1980, with no cable repeats or even a VHS release.

I would also add the original full-length miniseries of "Moses The Lawgiver" (1975, not the edited two hour movie version), and "A.D" (1985) the first and third in the trilogy of Biblical miniseries produced by Vincenzo Labella ("Jesus Of Nazareth" being the second, which is out on DVD)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Alice in Wonderland (1985)
Roots: The Next Generations
The Thorn Birds
Helter Skelter
Queen
George Washington
Lincoln
North and South Trilogy

And Re-Release of Jesus of Nazareth in four parts

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Some I wish from Masterpiece Theater and BBC.
By the Sword Divided
The Ginger Tree
Dutchess of Duke Street
The Fall of Eagle
War and Peace (Anthony Hopkins)
Mountbatten
Dickens Life and Times
The Buccaneers
To Serve Them all my Days (Reportedly Coming)
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Geraldine McKuen)
Goodbye Mr Chips (2 different miniseries)
Captain Cook
The Dain Curse
Danger UXB
Strauss Family

Best
Greg

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised "Rich Man, Poor Man" isn't on your list. Also, don't forget Shogun is coming!
It was brain fade for me to forget "Shogun" David, thanks for the reminder. I did not mention "Rich Man, Poor Man" on the 2nd list because it is available in R2, but I should have put it on the 1st list of mini-series available. I wish to add another to my want list, "The Awakening Land"(1978)with Elizabeth Montgomery.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
David on the list that your link points to, I noticed "The Bangkok Hilton". I have an R2 release of this mini-series with Nicole Kidman.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I would kill to see a DVD release of Liberty!: The American Revolution, a 6-part PBS documentary in the vein of Ken Burns' The Civil War. The marvelous thing about Liberty! is that the diaries and letters of the period are acted out instead of read to the viewer. Some great stage and screen stars were involved: Donna Murphy, Terrence Mann, Richard Rees, Victor Garber and many others. Hosted by Forrest Sawyer and Narrated by Edward Hermann.

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
I second "The First Olympics". My VHS copy - taped from the TV - is nearly unwatchable!
Also add to the list "Middlemarch". I never got to see the last installment. OK, the truth - I can't get enough of Rufus Sewell! :b

Jodee

Screenwriter
My #1 request would be The Manions of America an excellent mini-series starring a pre-James Bond (and pre-Remington Steele) Pierce Brosnan opposite a very young (and pre ST: Voyager) Kate Mulgrew. It's a great epic story about Rory O'Manion, a headstrong Irishman who emigrates to Anerica, and the Englishwoman (Mulgrew) who loves him despite their class differences. Very well-done saga.

And then I've got to get the amazing Lace and Lace II. Who can forget Phoebe's Cates' famous line "Which one of you bitches is my mother?"

I'd also like to see Celebrity based on the Thomas Thompson book of the same name. It's about three men who share a teriible secret from their youth and each ones grows up to be famous in their own right.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Hollywood: A Celebration of the Silent Era (13 eps)
Buster Keaton: A Hard Act To Follow (3 eps)
Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius (3 eps)
Unknown Chaplin (3 eps)

The Boys From Termite Terrace

HBO-Video and Freemantle Media control the first 4 on video, while the second is probably Warner Bros.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
The Dain Curse is coming, complete and uncut on a 2 disc set on 5/10. This will erase the memory of the 3 vhs tape set that Anchor Bay put out that was the 120 min. cut spread over 3 vhs tapes. Hope it's worth the wait, but I'll by anything with James Coburn in it ;).

From www.image-entertainment.com:

Year: 1978
Length: 360 minutes
Rating: Not Rated
MSRP: $ 24.99 Status: Active
Release Date: 5/10/2005
Pre-Order Date: 3/29/2005
Studio: Image
Catalog Number: ID2697CQDVD
UPC: 014381269727
Main Genre: Mystery/Suspense

Synopsis: Murder and deception await Academy Award©-winner James Coburn in this twist-packed thriller from mystery legend Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man). When a case of diamonds goes missing, hard-boiled private eye Hamilton Nash (Coburn) investigates and uncovers a tangled web involving the Dain family, a bloodline cursed with sudden, violent death. Disturbed graves, robberies and human sacrifices are just a few of the perils uncovered before the final shocking revelation in this stylish whodunit, now presented in its full miniseries length for the first time on home video! Stellar cast features Jason Miller (The Exorcist), Beatrice Straight (Poltergeist), Hector Elizondo (The Princess Diaries), Jean Simmons (Spartacus) and Paul Stewart (Kiss Me Deadly).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks