What's new

The Monkees: Season 1 box set ... May 13th? (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
dvdpricesearch.com has The Monkees Season 1 listed as coming out on May 13th.

I've heard rumors of this in recent months, but haven't seen anything concrete. Does anyone have any additional info? As usual, Rhino's site has no info.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
OMG!!! That case is SO cool!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Is there are release information on the Season 3 set?

The reason why I'm asking is that I'd really like to have the ABC TV special from a few years ago that was put together in conjunction with the release of the "Justus" CD. That was a hysterical show, particularly since they made it as though it was just another episode from a series that never went off the air.

I was wondering if Rhino had planned on integrating this (as well as "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" and any other TV specials into this collection.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
There were only 2 seasons.

Season 1: 32 episodes
Season 2: 26 episodes

Hopefully Rhino will get around to releasing 33 1/3 as well. Perhaps in box two?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ah, you see there! John's post ended up making *me* look stupid! :laugh: :wink:

I shoulda asked the missus first...SHE is the Monkees fan around here!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Wow, that case is interesting... I do notice the "Rhin-o-Phonic" logo on it, which I hope doesn't mean a really bad faux 5.1 mix like their Rutles DVD. I'm not too worried, however, as a lot of a attention to detail went into the VHS versions of these shows, and The Monkees are THE prime Rhino property.

I would be fascinated, however, if they went back to the master tapes (which Rhino owns) and offered an alternate audio track with the songs in stereo and/or 5.1.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Oh, well. No biggie.

Still, I hope that Rhino can get that ABC special included. After all, it was written as though it was just another episode. That would be a great addition to the set.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hmm... I noticed that Mickey Dolenz isn't involved in any of the audio commentaries. Anybody know why? Seems like Mike Nesmith would be the one to not participate with this DVD set, and yet he's doing a couple of commentaries. Did Mickey have a recent falling out with the rest of the group?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I would imagine it's only a scheduling issue. All of the guys have participated extensively in Rhino's archiving of the Monkees material - granting interviews for the CD reissues, for instance.

But if you've heard the Dolenz commentary on the Daydream Believers biopic DVD, you might be glad there's no Dolenz commentary on the Rhino set! ;)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
On the commentary track on Daydream Believers, Micky rambled on incoherently for the most part. He would go silent for a while and then make noises or comments in a funny voice without offering any substantial information.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm with James. Rhino product varies wildly in quality (see the "Walking Tall" set for a sample of how bad it can be) and while I'm tempted to order it at DDD, I want to hear how this is first.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I received this from DDD yesterday. My initial thoughts are that the transfers are excellent - the best these shows have ever looked or probably ever will ... 5.1 audio is abysmal. Rhino luckily includes the original mono as well. Commentaries and extras (Kelloggs Commercials, 16mm pilot, etc. are great). Overall, I am pleased with the set. My only complaint is that if Rhino owns the Monkees music masters, they could have at least made true 5.1 or even used true stereo mixes for the songs. Would have been nice to have had audio options for songs used in reruns and syndication as well - but not bloody practical and I prefer the commentaries.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Matt, is the Screen Gems logo at the end of each episode? I paid a lot of money for the vhs versions and don't know if I want to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks