-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New to the Forum!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 RichJO

RichJO

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 01:26 AM

Boy am I glad I found this site! I am presently in the process of purchasing a system and could sure use some help.

My first request is I am considering of dumping cable and getting a HDTV ready set with a Direct HDTV satellite system.

My question is would this be prudent since I am also getting an attic antenna?

Any recommendations to A Direct HDTV receiver would also be appreciated!

RichPosted Image Posted Image

#2 of 3 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,118 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:18 AM

Quote:
My first request is I am considering of dumping cable and getting a HDTV ready set with a Direct HDTV satellite system.
That's more of a statement than a request. A lot of people here have done the same thing. Also some are switching back to cable because some locations have more HDTV content on cable.

Quote:
My question is would this be prudent since I am also getting an attic antenna?
Local HDTV channels are delivered wither with cable (which you are dumping) or OTA which requires an antenna.

Quote:
Any recommendations to A Direct HDTV receiver would also be appreciated!
It depends on the TV you buy. If you get one with a DVI interface, it would make sense to get a receiver with the same interface like the new Samsung or Zenith. If you go with a Mitsubishi TV (they just have component connections) you could go with a receiver like the Hughes E-86.

-Robert

#3 of 3 RichJO

RichJO

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 11:14 AM

Thank you Robert!

This is the site that helped me make up my mind to dump the cable. I have viewed our local cable in my area on many demos for different HDTV ready sets and the picture is sub-par at best. I was reading the forum and many suggestions were made to "dump" cable and get myself a good antenna for all the local channels which are putting out more & more HD.
for backup to my HD Direct TV hookup.

What do ya think about a Denon 3803 Rx? and a Denon DVD-2900 progressive scan player. My budget for the Rx is around $1000.00 and the DVD player around $500-$700. I also am considering the ENERGY Encore System with the 10" sub for my surround.

As far as my TV I really like the Mits (No DVI)but am open to suggestion. Price range is <$2500.00

Are you happy with the Hughes 86?

Like I stated I haven't purchased anything yet and am doing research.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx
Rich

Forum Nav Content I Follow