Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rocket RSC200 Center maxing out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 06:53 PM

Can anyone verify with Armageddon DVD in the opening scenes with the Big asteroid flying by that the sound really hammers your center channel?

I have the Criterion Armageddon and was watching it tonight at Reference Level and as the asteroid fly's by, I get this wierd sound like excess movement of the cones or the cones having a muffled squeeking. I think I heard it later on in the movie as well with lots of asteroid action.

Now, all of my Rockets are crossed over at 60 since the side dipoles go down to 60. I set all the speakers to go to the B4Plus at 60 and also crossed the sub over at 80 to have a little overlap. The amp pushing the 7 speakers is a 300WPC @ 4ohms Aragon 2007.

Now, this Rocket Center channel is just about the biggest, fattest, deepest Center channel I have ever seen much less owned... and if I hear what I think I am hearing.... I am kinda bummed out. Granted Reference level is way damn loud... almost too loud for me... but Armageddon is one of those movies you just want to blast the hell out of due to the action..

Any idea's? Any suggestions? Any other expieriences? Anyone else that has the Rocket Center 200 ever pushed it to the brink of fatigue? With what DVD?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 11:25 PM

Suggest you contact the folks at av123.com
~Glenn

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 01:23 AM

Move your crossover up to 80 and see if it still happens. Your system will probably sound better (more effortless) with the 80 hz crossover.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 08:30 AM

I wouldn't be so sure regarding the crossover,it could be the speaker it self.
I just tested it on my "half size" Polk LSIc also crossed at 60hz,and sailed through without any problems at reference volume.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 09:47 AM

Hmmm. I did by the B stock stuff. Maybe someone blew the crap out of it. I am gonna try a couple tests today.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Russell _T

Russell _T

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 10:49 AM

I have committed some pretty serious Rocket abuse, and blown some drivers, but never the center. We're talking 120db miked at 6" from the tweeter though. The center has never bottomed out or lost control when crossed over at 80 hz, or run large w/o sub.
Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.