What's new

PC vs Mac DVD stuff (1 Viewer)

Jay Washburn

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
Here's a question that I'm sure will inspire alot of feedback. I'll give some background info first:
A) My home computer is a 1998 Powerbook Wallstreet G3 with the ATI Rage Pro LT chipset. I have upgraded my CPU with Powerlogix's 450mhz Bluechip. I have 288MB RAM & the original 4 GB HD. Via my Firewire Cardbus card, I have a Yamaha 24X CD-RW, and a 60GB HD in a "firewire enclosure". These two external devices are daisy chained. I have a DVD-ROM in one of the removable bays that I can watch DVD's with. I run OS 9.1 with virtually no problems...very stable.
I have iMovie, have access to FCP if needed.
B) My work computer is a Dell Latitude C810 with a Pentium III @ 1.13 Mhz. It has a 260 MB RAM and a 20 GB HD. Built in Firewire and USB ports. It has a built in CD-RW drive, and a swappable DVD drive. I have Window 2000 Pro as the OS.
No video software except the stuff bundled with Roxio's Easy CD creator 5.
My question is this. I want to be able to do the following:1. Archive video from my Ultimate TV PVR 2. Make Back-up copies of my DVD's. 3. Make DVD's of my kids from my Digital 8 Sony Camcorder.
Which scenario is the cheapest and easiest way to go? I am a Mac enthusiast from way back, and would love to be able to do this on my home system. I realize I'll have to purchase a DVD RW, but I want to make a good, informed, qualified decision. I am a fairly tech savvy induvidual, having done extensive remodeling to my Mac as well as building PC's from scratch for other folks. All replies are welcome, and Thanks in advance for all your help.:)
Jay

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you're a Mac enthusiast, buy one of the Apple G4 kits designed for this, If you want good quality your PC doesn't have a decent board in it, and your Mac is probably underpowered for what you want. iMovie has a cap of 60min on any production BTW

As far as backing up your DVDs, it is against the rules of the forum to discuss bypassing copy protection or any other form of copying commercial product

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The 60 minute limit is with iDVD: up to 60 minutes at the "higher quality" bitrate. Then up to 90 minutes at the "lower quality" bitrate. iDVD only works with the internal Superdrive (purportedly since they used to allow the software to be downloaded, this is how they managed paying the DVD/MPEG license fees, and of course, it encourages hardware sales).

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks