What's new

jm cobalt 816S questions (1 Viewer)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Anyone know if anyone has these speakers and how do they like them? Would they be nice driven with the Marantz SR 8200?

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
Mike

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I might be able to help. I auditioned the 826S powered by a Marantz 9200 today. Both pieces being a step up from what you're inquiring about.

I was rather impressed. Great high end detail, but very neutral sounding. It had a very neutral midrange and a tight bass response that went fairly low. The speakers played everything I threw at it with ease. I tested using jazz, bluegrass, hard rock, metal and electronica albums. I listened to this combo at reasonably loud volumes for well over an hour and didn't experience any fatigue whatsoever. The speakers imaged great and the soundstage was very big, more wide than deep though. All in all, a very good combo.

I think the 8200 and the 816S will sound very similar to what I just described, except the bass won't go quite as low. And the 8200 should have more than enough power for the 816S as all JMlab speakers are quite efficient. The 816S's are rated at 91.5 dB.

Like with everything you read on these forums, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. If possible, you should audition the Marantz with the 816S together and see how you like them.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
The cobalt's primary criticism has always been a hot top end especially with lower range ss amplifiction. However, the Marantz gear tends to be a tad laid back. I would imagine that these two should be a good match.

I have always felt that the lower end jmlab stuff was good, but if you were not going to be able to "steal it" than you can probably do better. For $1500+ you surly can IMO.

They are made in France as well...

-rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks