What's new

CLD-R5, anyone know anything about this player? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I see one of these just popped up on ebay and so I started doing a little research on google but didn't come up with much useful information. ALthough it seems that yahoo japan is still offering them for sale. I need a new player for my bedroom because my cld-990 has finally quit on me and was wondering if this one would be worth bidding on ebay for or even trying to get from yahoo japan.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chuck it's a Japanese home market model and thusly runs on 100 volts, properly and safely anyway, or atleast by the book! I wouldn't bid on this one. It was an average, low price player. It's proably a little better than an average player was here oweing to the more competative Nipponese market. Stille, it would cost more to ship it than what the player's worth.

There are Japanese and Asian models that might be worth importing. The Muse capable Pioneers, the HLD-X0 & HLD-X9 with their red lasers are the two best players made. The LD-S9 has the same 3-D comb filter as the HLD-X9. It's arguably the best 3-D comb on the market. It's stille used in Pioneer and Mitsu's best sets. The S9 and X9 are both hot tickets. There's a Nipponese model with '7' in the model number that rivals or even beats the S9 but I can't remember the whole model # at the moment. Then there's the CLD-D99 which is just like a CLD-99 except it's pale gold and instead of wood side panels it has metal bars that add ballast, maybe about 3 kg, or a little more, extra. Oh, it has a voltage selector for 240 v or 100/120 v on the back. It was an export model meant for Asia, Oceania, and Austrailia...I think?

Other players to watch for would be Nipponese Sony and Panasonic Muse capable players. I doubt it's really worth your trouble to import a player unless it's a red-lasered Muse capable player or an S9 or maybe the player who's model # I can't remember, with a seven in the #. If you don't get one of their great players, you might as well fish for a 97, 99, 79, or 704, me thinks. :) Best wishes from Laserland!

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Rachael, I figured it might not be as up to snuff as the high end players that get discussed on here. Now I have to figure out what to replace my cld-990 with.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chuck, it's amazing that a 990 lasted this long! I got one about 1990 and it didn't last. It was a budjet model with some major compromises especially in regards to possible service. The laser lens is difficult and frequently impossible to adjust properly if it gets out of whack. I looked at the auction, which was canceled BTW, it looks like it's a Nippoese CLD-704 with LD-G (Graphics). Good luck on your search! :)

Hi Jim! I think that's the one. There's two 90's models with 7 in them and I get them mixed up. Li On, from AVS, had the '96 moodel with a 7 in it. It had some kind of 3-D comb in it, D-EXT (to switch back and forth between proper black level for their NTSC and the U.S. standard), and LD-G. It weighs about the same as a 704. There's a year or two earlier 7 model with a lesser comb and no D-EXT. It would certainly be less desirable and proably very 704-ish. Tony, TK knows which one is which for sure. Good to hear from you! Best wishes! :)

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael, my dad bought the 990 on clearance in Wal-Mart of all places around '94 i think. It was serviced once around '97 for what i later found out was laser alignment problems. It was the main player in my parents theater until we got a dvl-909 in '98. While the 909 wasn't the greatest player in the world it was certainly a step up from the 990. I could immediately tell the difference in build quality when i pulled the 990 out and slid the 909 in. The 990 weighs next to nothing but that 909's weight took me by surprise. All was good until everybody in this town that carried laserdiscs stopped carrying them that christmas.:frowning: I had been looking for a new player about six months ago but decided against it figuring that as long as the 990 was alive and kicking i'd stick with it. That mentality probably cursed it.:)

Any ideas what a decent price to pay for a cld-97, 99, 79, or 704 are?
Oh and what's up with these guys on ebay selling some less than desirable players for WAY too much. I saw some guy selling a cld-980 with a starting bid of $125 a few months ago.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Chuck,
I think you should be able to find a decent 704 or Elite CLD-79 for the $300.00 to $350.00 range. I was lucky and found a new in the box CLD-79 last year that I jumped on then sold my CLD-D704 on E-Bay. I sold my player with my Star Wars and Indy movies because I figured it would bring a little more that way and I was right and got $449.00 for all of it.
Rachael,
How is everything in the new pad? Did you upgrade to a new TV or front projector?
Later
Jim

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chuck, come to think of it mine was a 980 but it's nearly exactly the same minus the INTRO SCAN feature. I got mine at Wal-Mart too. They had beaucoups of 980's & 990's for $199 and $219 respectively. Jim's about in line about the 704/79. If you must have S-video output you'd want a 99 or 97. They'll cost more. I picked up a 99 for $650 about three years ago. I'd say they generally sell for $600-$900. 97's usually sell for a little less, $500-$750. Ocasionally, on E-bay, there are a bunch of LD Elite players at once. Bidding will be lower than usual. That's the situation to watch for. There's only one 99 on E-bay today and the bidders have run it up over $900 as of this morning. Be patient and don't settle for less than a 704. Good luck!:)

Jim, I got an Elite 630 and I like it alot! I have cables for a projector run in the ceiling. I have no immediate plans to get a projector. It was relatively cheap to run the cables. You never know? Times change...! I've nearly got all the rooms fixed up and decorated. Ain't this the life!:) Best wishes!

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I looked at the 630's when they first came out and really liked them and was hoping to upgrade if my Sony sold but it didn't and things got a little slow and iffy at work so I decided to wait a little while. I saw they had a price drop on them so maybe I can start looking again in the next few months. Rachael is right Chuck don't go below a 704 and I think you will be very happy. Wait it out and you will find a good deal somewhere. When I was looking I was checking e-bay every day and then my Elite CLD-D79 fell into my lap from another source. Good luck in the search and congrats to Rachael on the new 630. I'm jealous :)
Later
Jim

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Yes, 1997 model CLD-R7G was Li On from AVS, and 1994/5 model CLD-HF7G(I presume? ) looks similar to the CLD-79/S9.

The R5 is a very basic player. upon looking at specs, looks similar to a CLD-D406/606.

tony

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Now i'm thinking that the cld-r7g may be worth looking into. Any idea of how or where to look into buying one. I'd assume that i'd have to import one second hand. I'm starting to get the laserdisc bug again :D Not a good thing for my bank account.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Only one I've seen for purchase is from Nicolas Santini. I think you'll get lots of recommendations on the guy from this board since a number of folks have bought LD-S9's and X9's from him. It seems like once every 6 months or so, one may show up on Ebay.

You can read his website and reach him through his email there http://home.catv.ne.jp/nn/nsa/

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chuck, you could try Daniel Law at the Chinese Club in Hong Kong. That's where I got my Japanese players. You might as well ask about the LD-S9 too. Remember to keep your questions simple. His English is not outstanding. His e-mail is:

[email protected]

Mattias, where's he been (?), was telling me about all the used players he had sometime last year. It seems like their was an LD-S9 in there for $550. I'm not sure if that included shipping? When he used to sell new his price quotes included shipping. Shipping is high. It's a long way to Hong Kong even from Kalifornie. Best wishes!:)

P.S. - Jim, I'm sure you get an Elite in due time.:)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Chuck,
There is a 704 & a Kenwood demod for sale in the hardware for sale section. Just in case you are interested.
Rachael ,
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've been trying to sell my Sony HDTV first then it would make it easy to have an excuse to buy something new.
Later
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks