Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Front projection @ CRAZY prices!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 11:32 PM

After reading about the new under $2000 front projectors here and over at the AVS forum I decided that the Infocus X1 was the one for me. I have always liked the look of DLP at work and spent some time with the really exciting NEC HT-1000 ($5000). After searching for a dealer on pricegrebber.com I settled on one (http://www.softwaremore-usa.com) with an awesome price ($1220 w/free FedEx shipping) and good reviews. And, despite what Andy @ projecotrshopper.com told me, according to Infocus them selves, no matter where you buy it from you are eligible for the $100 rebate and extra 3 year extended warranty (making it a total of 5 years). Shame on you Andy. The total $1120 after rebate!! The projector was ordered at noon on Wednesday and was delivered @ 4:30 the next day! I tested it out last night on a white wall and it is sweet right out of the box....I can't wait to see what this thing is like after the bulb settles and I tweak it. The image was VERY much the same as what I had seen with the HT-1000 (using DVD 480i via s-video and component). I can't wait to work it in to my system and hook it up to my RP-82. Time to move the 36" XBR to the living room. More to come.

Randy Posted Image
Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D

#2 of 3 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 03:30 AM

Wow, I'm amazed you said the HT1000 and the X1 are very similar. It must be that crappy 480i DVD player you own (oh wait, you have the RP82...nevermind). Posted Image

I had an HT1000 for a week, and had it hooked up to my RP91 via component (tried progressive and interlaced) and my HTPC. It is incredible. Noticeably better than my NEC LT240 (2x color wheel, higher black levels). The HT1000 has a very filmlike, smooth image. The scaler is incredible...very close to an HTPC through a DVD player. The HT1000 is a winner, unless you're like me and suffer from eye fatigue/tension and DLP rainbows (oh and half my friends have problems with the DLP effects, even on the HT1000). Posted Image

I think, for the money, the HT1000 is the best projector you can buy. But, the X1 is no slouch in the sub-$2000 market. Enjoy! Posted Image

Me, I'm going for the Sanyo Z1 16x9 budget LCD projector. It'll need a lot of tweaking to even approach my NEC LT240. However, the Z1 is half the price...and no rainbows and no headaches!

Supposedly the Infocus X1 and the Sanyo PLV-Z1 are very close in picture quality. This is a great time to make the jump to front projection!
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#3 of 3 RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 04:03 AM

Max, actually the HT-1000 and the X1 do share a few things in common. (1) would be a newer 12deg. tilt DLP chip (although the HT-1000's chip is a higher resolution) which allows the greater contrat ratio specs and (2) a Faroudja scaler/de-interlacer! One thing they don't share is the HT-1000's $5000 price tag. I hope the Z1 works out. I really had decided on it and then changed my mind to go with DLP over LCD. I don't have a problem with rainbows and I think DLP is a more reliable technology in respect to dust blob's and stuck pixels...time will tell.

enjoy Randy
Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D