Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Center speaker a waste of time with ProLogic ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:39 PM

Hi, Will there be any benefit to having a center speaker on a Prologic receiver when you have just the front L/R and Center but no surround speakers? Thanks, BrianGC

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 02:28 AM

Most dialogue is output from the centre speaker, which makes the presentation sound more natural if you are sitting off to the side (not directly in front of the TV).

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 02:36 AM

For movies I consider the center speaker to be the most important speaker in the system. Surround effects are fun, but the center speaker is where the story happens. In fairness, though, there's a school of thought that prefers to replace the center speaker with a properly focused pair of left and right speakers to create a "phantom" center. The major limitation is that you have to be sitting in a "sweet spot" to get the effect. And I've long suspected that this approach is appealing primarily to people who don't have a really good center speaker. (There's a tendency to skimp on the center, but I'd spend as much -- or more -- on that speaker as on any in the system.) M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 05:48 PM

[quote] For movies I consider the center speaker to be the most important speaker in the system [quote]

From reading the Beginner's FAQ, it seemed that ProLogic wasn't very highly thought of. So, I wondered if the Center speaker was as useful on a ProLogic system?

I think I'm going to get JBL N26II speakers, and the N Center if I decide to go with a Center. I'll most likely get one of the new Sony SA-WM500 Subs as well.

BrianGC

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 02:19 AM

[quote] From reading the Beginner's FAQ, it seemed that ProLogic wasn't very highly thought of. [quote]
On the contrary, it was the state of the art for many years before the arrival of discrete multi-channel formats. When ProLogic processing first arrived, it was a major step up in HT sound.

M.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 02:59 AM

[quote] There's a tendency to skimp on the center, but I'd spend as much -- or more -- on that speaker as on any in the system. [quote]

I could not agree more with this. Why would you skimp on a speaker that handles most of the audio in movies and TV?

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 04:20 AM

Most people agree that the center is the most important, used speaker for HT. But... you really want your front 3 speakers to be as close to identical as possible. More and more DVD's are sending dialog to the L/R speakers if the actors are shot wide in the scene. If the center and L/R to not tone-match (usually meaning designed to work together), it blows the illusion of being in the scene. Some have argued, and I have to agree, that it's actually better to have 5 identical speakers for your system than trying to have a high-quality center, a step down for the L/R, then budget speakers for the rear. So dont get the idea that you should buy a higher-end center. A set of budget but tone-matched speakers can do a great job and likely save some $$. (That you can put into a better sub for the impact it brings.) Hope this helps.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 04:28 AM

I am currently using a Technics SA-690 Pro-Logic receiver (with two sub outputs!!) for my stereo setup. There's a Dolby Pro Logic 3 mode that one can chose, which folds the surround effects into the front L/C/R speakers. Haven't tried it yet though.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 07:41 AM

[quote] So dont get the idea that you should buy a higher-end center. [quote]
I don't think anyone here has suggested that. The point is simply not to skimp on the center.

M.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 07:57 AM

[quote] [quote]
So, I bought six JBL Studio Series S26s, to anchor the Fronts, Side Surrounds, Rear Center (pair wired in-series) and a timbre-(voice)-matched) JBL S-Center, ... so I can playback the encoded blockbuster 5.1 & DD-EX / DTS-ES-(matrix/discrete 6.1) DVD(s) and achieve near 100%** 360-degree Front, Center , Side Surround & Rear Center timbre-match seamless surround effects. Posted Image This setup is very effective because you can hear the intricate precise pin point location, anywhere within the 360° sound field around you that the Dolby Labs DD-5.1/6.1 Mixing Engineer encoded in the DVD mix (Lord of the Rings / DD-EX; Star Wars I & II / DD-EX; World is Not Enough / DD-EX; Stargate UE / DTS-ES-discrete; Rush Hour 2 / DTS-ES-discrete; etc.)

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 02:15 PM

Well, I see this thread got moved. Not sure why, in my mind it started off as a question about my prologic receiver setup. Anyway, I did mention above I was considering the JBL N26IIs and the N-Center. I guess I left out the part about the tight budget. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE315 and I don't want to replace it at this time. I suppose my real question should have been would adding the Center be a waste of money at this time when I can't install the surround speakers for now on my ProLogic receiver. Sounds like it would be worthwile to have it, even without the surrounds. 99% of the time I've had the receiver, the only thing hooked to it was headphones. But I recently got my 1st DVD player (Pan CP72) so the thought of getting some decent speakers came up. Thanks, BrianGC

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Andy Kim

Andy Kim

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 02:31 PM

Hi, I think when you go from stereo to a pro-logic center, you'll notice that a whole wack of what you're going to be hearing will come from the center channel (more so than 5.1). Pretty much everything if not all things in-phase will come from the center. When I converted from stereo to prologic, I did notice the sound stage decrease. The lateral pans (sounds going from left to right and vice versa) were less pronounced when I introduced the center channel. But with the center, the dialogue is fixed on the screen so that's good.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 04:16 PM

[quote] The lateral pans (sounds going from left to right and vice versa) were less pronounced when I introduced the center channel [quote]

I wonder if you would notice the same effect if you had a newer receiver but still only used the Front L/R, Center, and Sub? I might possibly get a new Budget 5.1 receiver, but I can't stress Budget enough. lol

BrianGC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users