Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Speaker types

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

    Second Unit

  • 483 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 17 2003

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:45 AM

I was wondering what exactly a "monitor" speaker is. Satellites, bookshelf, and floor standing are all obvious but when I hear a speaker classified as a monitor I have no idea what that means. It seems to me that is between a bookshelf and floor standing but there has to be more to it. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity? I am in my second year of becoming a HT enthusiast and want to learn as much as I can.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyFr


    Supporting Actor

  • 794 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 28 2003

Posted April 16 2003 - 09:19 AM

well coming from a professional audio background I think of a monitor as being a speaker thats built to have as completely a flat frequency response as possible so you can hear what a recording truely sounds like. But I know some consumer manufactures use this term loosely for bookshelf type speakers.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Tekara


    Supporting Actor

  • 783 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2003

Posted April 16 2003 - 10:16 AM

I hear the term used primarly for the PA speakers used in music concerts. monitors are the ones on the stage itself. this would be very much in line with Jeremy's descriptions.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Salvatore Restivo

Salvatore Restivo


  • 28 posts
  • Join Date: May 21 2001

Posted April 17 2003 - 04:14 AM

I asked this very same question on AVS Forum some time ago...

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins


  • 2,598 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2002

Posted April 17 2003 - 11:33 AM

Many speaker companies use the term monitor to describe a speaker they feel is too big to be considered a "bookshelf" speaker, but still requires a stand, i.e. not a floorstander.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   noahG



  • 27 posts
  • Join Date: May 03 2002

Posted April 17 2003 - 12:55 PM

monitors in reference to a stage performance are the speakers on stage that point back to the performers, instead of towards the audience. they allow the Musicians (or actors or whomever) to "monitor" their own performance. they're usually sort of triangular cabinets pointing upwards, although many people have switched to individual "in ear" monitors, allowing each performer to listen to his/her own mix. I'd had to stick a larger than bookshelf speaker in my ear.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins


  • 2,598 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2002

Posted April 17 2003 - 01:11 PM

Monitor in relation to PRO audio is what noah and others have described it as, but speaker manufacturers and salesmen DO use the term monitor to describe a large bookshelf speaker... stick that in your ear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users