What's new

What makes a $2000 dvd player better than a $200 one? (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
this is a stupid question. What makes dvd players that are a couple of thousand dollars better than a dvd player that is a few hundred. I use a sony dvp-ns400d, and I think the picture looks great. How much better can it get? sorry for the newb question.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm moving this to Audio/Video Sources. The question may be simple, but I suspect the answers are complicated.

M.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
In truth, I suspect not much. I had an 800 dollar progressive scan DVD player and recently switched to a Panny RP82--the Panny RP82 had BETTER picture quality and had better features.

It pays most to research the player before buying them -- there are countless resources on the web regarding who has the best chipsets/best performance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget that there is more to a DVD player than video. These players do audio too. In my experience, the difference between budget DVD players and high-end DVD players is much closer in the video department than in the audio department. Thus, the budget player may hold its own in terms of picture quality, but audio (e.g., CDs) is a completely different story.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
The decoding of audio by a dvd player may change from player to player. However, if you have a receiver decoding the audio then the ability of an expensive player to decode audio is moot.

I may be overstepping my bounds with this assertion but I believe most mid to high tier receivers are capable of better decoding than the average mid to high level dvd player.

gammite

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But you are probably only talking about DVD-Video soundtracks, not the higher resolution audio formats used for music. Also, I doubt the audio DACs in a $500 receiver are really better than the ones in a $500 player unless you're comparing a new receiver to a 3-year-old player or the like.

And finally, there are NO receivers or external decoders, AFAIK, that can decode DVD-A or SACD nor do any players, AFAIK, output them digitally (yet). Basically, w/ higher-end players, you are getting more of the state-of-the-art at any point in time than a budget player although the PQ has been a question mark w/ many high-end players.

And even w/ the cheap Panny players of last year, where the PQ rivals any high-end player, that's probably just an aberration to a large extent. Look at what Panasonic's doing now w/ their new line, and also see if anybody else is coming out w/ the same level of PQ for

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

Absolutely! Let's certainly not forget fit and finish, and the prestige that comes with knowing that you spent $2000 on a DVD player. ;)

Man-Fai,

Good point. It is very likely that a $2000 DVD player will serve as a better transport than a $200 model. In a high-end 5.1 system that is commensurate with the $2000 DVD player, the difference in transport quality is often night and day.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Man-Fai,

There are a number of solutions for digital output from a player to a processor -- most of which are proprietary.

SACD:
dCS, Accuphase and Sharp have stereo solutions, all proprietary.

Pioneer has a multi-channel firewire solution, specific to the DV-47ai player / 49TXi receiver for the time being.

DVD-Audio:
Denon, Meridian, Muse and MSB (via player modification) all have proprietary solutions available for multi-channel.

Pioneer has a multi-channel firewire solution, specific to the DV-47ai player / 49TXi receiver for the time being.

I think that's everyone out there with digital solutions, but I could be mistaken.

Regards,

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't know about the $2000 players, but here at work, we use a lot of $800 players - the Pioneer 7400 industrial players.

This player gives us a lot of useful features...

1. Autostart programming. Power comes on in the morning; most of the DVD players go to Title X, Chapter Y, and go into repeat play automatically.

2. RS-232 control. Many of the players are directly controlled by a supervisory AMX system.

3. Blackburst synchronization, for when you need two or more players to play back in perfect sync.

4. Perhaps the most important is endurance. We have perhaps a dozen players now - the first ones we installed - that are pushing the four year old mark. This translates to 14,000 hours of power on and playing a disc. (We average about 3500 hours/year.)

Off hand, I don't recall having any transport failures, either. Presently, we're running about fifty of these puppies at the same time.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There are a number of solutions for digital output from a player to a processor -- most of which are proprietary.
Thanks for the correction, John.

Still, the key relevant point is that you won't get any of that w/ a budget (or mainstream) player and receiver. I'd consider all of those digital solutions as "state-of-the-art" and bleeding edge.

_Man_

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget DAC chips and other technical thingies from companies like Faroudja and Silicon Images. Come to think of it..Faroudja is fun to say.

Faroudja:D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Expensive video goods are the past,Faroudja's dvd "engines" are all over the map[price wise] in dvd players.Audio remains much more subjective compared to video,which is why some companies creating such models,and some even bound by it["high end"].
I personaly think that above a $1000 or so price,the "diminishing returns" apply rather fast,of course you could still brag about it as Keith pointed out;). YMMV.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Man-Fai,

I don't disagree that these digital solutions are expensive, but your choice of words indicated absolutes...

Regards,

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
A (slight) hybred is a DVDPC, which would fall into the 1,500-2,000 range. These provide a scaled native resolution to match your front projector's native scan rate for the best possible picture. They also offer the ability to upgrade as the market produces new and improved video and audio without having to buy a whole new player. Some offer the ability to scale other source material like a VCR, cable or laser disc player to the same scan rate (with an imput on the back). Also, something cool like a movie count down introduction before each dvd or ability to play other region's DVDs.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
The mod that moved this topic from the basic forum made the right choice. this topic was replied to alot over here, thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks