What's new

August 19th for that Bob Fosse classic musical... (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
ALL THAT JAZZ!

• Release Date: 8/19/2003
  • Retail Price: $14.98
  • Studio: Fox
  • Year: 1979
  • Runtime: 123 minutes
  • Widescreen
  • Scene specific audio commentary by star Roy Scheider
  • Interviews
  • Film clips
  • Theatrical trailers

You're Welcome! :D

Guy_K

Second Unit
That's great news! It only goes for $10 dollars though? I hope that doesn't represent the quality of the transfer.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Great--now I can finally program that home film festival:

8-1/2 (Fellini/1963)
All That Jazz (Fosse/1979)
Stardust Memories (Woody Allen/1980)

:)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
David just because a retailer puts a DVD up for pre-order does not mean that it will actually be released. Especially since Fox recently canceled a release that was up for pre-order called "The Enemy Below". How about providing a link to an official press release about "All That Jazz" coming out on that date or perhaps an actual quote from Mr Staddon. Since it does not look like a definate improvement over my R2 version, I'll pass & it does not matter to me whether it actually is released in R1 or not. But I think some fans who are not multi-regional might not actually believe it until they see it in their hands since Fox has been sitting on the R1 version for so long!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I've been hearing all this time that All That Jazz would be with other Fox musicals including Hello Dolly. Does anyone else know what else comes withthis package?

Guy_K

Second Unit
I think this will be the release date, considering Chicago is also getting a release around August.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

just what i was going to say.
QFF is one of the best looking discs i have EVER seen.
if anybody here finds themselves buying a Superbit release just because you think it is demo material, even though you aren't really crazy about the movie- you should dig out $10 and give this a shot.
the bonus is, the movie itself is a work of art.

obviously the release date of ATJ is on the up and up and why would there be any further delay?
its a fine disc and a great movie ( i've been enjoying the R4 one for a while now).

really excited about The Rose, since this is a movie i've wanted to see since i discovered Joplin all those years ago.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw the announcement at DVDfile that this includes Hello Dolly , and Sttar ( a real shocker there as Fox told me two years ago they would NEVER do this title. With Star and Thoroughly Modern Milllie due at any time, we Julie andrews fansare thrilled!!

RafaelB

Second Unit
Although I'm excited about "All That Jazz" and "Hello Dolly", I'm pretty ecstatic about "Star!" coming out. I wonder if Fox will port over the commentary that was on the laserdisc special edition? I hope, I hope, I hope... :D

Rafael

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I hope we can find some specs for these titles somewhere - so far, no. I want to knwo if Hello Dolly and Star are anamorphic, are they 4.0 and do they both have extra features a la making of and screen tests ( a ton exist for Hello Dolly)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result) Why not spread out these releases? Who wants to buy all these titles in one week after having nothing available since the Rodgers and Hammerstein releases over four years ago. Sorry FOX I'll buy CHICAGO instead.

Betcha, come August 18th-19th no one chooses to buy "ALL THAT JAZZ" over this year's best picture winner "CHICAGO"

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

Well, it goes without saying. IMO, anybody asking if something will be anamorphic is usually a waste of time, since just about every widescreen title is these days...and Fox always uses it now, anyway...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result)
It appears that this R1 release is the same as the R2 & R4 releases in terms of specs. Hence I have no compelling reason the replace my R2 version. Now if this R1 release had featured more & better extras or a better soundtrack (perhaps 5.1 or 4.0) instead of the same 2.0 one, I might have been persuaded to purchase it. I looks like my decision to buy the R2 version has been vindicated.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result) Why not spread out these releases?
I understand the frustration of waiting for a title, but not buying it when it comes because you don't like the delay seems a case of cutting off one's nose to spite the face, y'know? Maybe this is easy for me to say, since I'm multi-region and have had "All That Jazz" for a long time already. Still, the realities of marketing are what they are and aren't limited to "All That Jazz"- Fox timed their "Flint" movies to coincide with the third Austin Powers movie, for instance.

It would be more comfortable for my wallet if releases were spread out - next Tuesday I'm picking up 4 musicals all from one promotion, for example - but the studios put these promotions together to be able to grab retailer interest. A catalog title is much more likely to fall through the cracks if it is out there on its own, but tied into a promotion with similar titles, it has the potential to do a bit better. Fox isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here, except for holding up a couple of these (ATJ and Dolly, presumably) until they thought they could sell them better. I'm certain that more retailers will stock ATJ post-"Chicago". The better it does, the more likely that other musicals will be released.

Most of the studios seem more willing to release their musical titles recently, and the only way you're going to see them continue to do that is to buy, isn't it?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A catalog title is much more likely to fall through the cracks if it is out there on its own, but tied into a promotion with similar titles, it has the potential to do a bit better. Fox isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here, except for holding up a couple of these (ATJ and Dolly, presumably) until they thought they could sell them better
"All That Jazz" was originally to be released in the 4th Qtr of 2002, until it was pulled from its position in the release queue because of the possibility of adding some additional extras (That did not pan out). So unless it was to be a part of some promo during that original release window that I'm unaware of, it appears that Fox thought that it could stand alone as a catalog release & sell itself without any help.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

Actually, the Q4 2002 release was, AFAIK, supposed to tie in with the THEATRICAL release of Chicago...I dunno why they delayed it, but at least they got their wish to be able to tie it in to the release of Chicago (on DVD).

And how did Fox come to own this, anyway? When I saw it on Bravo, it opened with a logo for Columbia...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks