Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

August 19th for that Bob Fosse classic musical...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 12:52 PM

ALL THAT JAZZ!

• Release Date: 8/19/2003
  • Retail Price: $14.98
  • Studio: Fox
  • Year: 1979
  • Runtime: 123 minutes
  • Widescreen
  • Scene specific audio commentary by star Roy Scheider
  • Interviews
  • Film clips
  • Theatrical trailers

You're Welcome! Posted Image

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 82 OFFLINE   Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 12:53 PM

That's great news! It only goes for $10 dollars though? I hope that doesn't represent the quality of the transfer.

#3 of 82 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 01:46 PM

Great--now I can finally program that home film festival:

8-1/2 (Fellini/1963)
All That Jazz (Fosse/1979)
Stardust Memories (Woody Allen/1980)

Posted Image

#4 of 82 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 01:48 PM

Definate pass

#5 of 82 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:17 PM

David just because a retailer puts a DVD up for pre-order does not mean that it will actually be released. Especially since Fox recently canceled a release that was up for pre-order called "The Enemy Below". How about providing a link to an official press release about "All That Jazz" coming out on that date or perhaps an actual quote from Mr Staddon. Since it does not look like a definate improvement over my R2 version, I'll pass & it does not matter to me whether it actually is released in R1 or not. But I think some fans who are not multi-regional might not actually believe it until they see it in their hands since Fox has been sitting on the R1 version for so long!
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#6 of 82 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:24 PM

I've been hearing all this time that All That Jazz would be with other Fox musicals including Hello Dolly. Does anyone else know what else comes withthis package?

#7 of 82 OFFLINE   Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:35 PM

I think this will be the release date, considering Chicago is also getting a release around August.

#8 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:57 PM

All That Jazz, Hello Dolly, The Rose, Simon & Garfunkel Concert in Central Park, Star!, and a reissue of The Commitments are all due out 8/19, according to this DVDTalk thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.c....hreadid=286345

Mao, the DVDTalk member who posted the info, is usually reliable when he posts dates, so I trust that these are accurate.

#9 of 82 OFFLINE   Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:17 PM

[quote] That's great news! It only goes for $10 dollars though? I hope that doesn't represent the quality of the transfer. [quote]
Check out Quest for Fire if you don't believe Fox can do a great transfer and have a minuscule price.
8 Ball gave it a 9:
Yo, Martin and Will are my boys, you know what I'm saying? They make jokes I understand. The car chase is dope! I give it a 9 but I'm still 8 Ball.
-user review of Bad Boys II from Metacritic.com

guzzlefish

#10 of 82 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:22 PM

just what i was going to say. QFF is one of the best looking discs i have EVER seen. if anybody here finds themselves buying a Superbit release just because you think it is demo material, even though you aren't really crazy about the movie- you should dig out $10 and give this a shot. the bonus is, the movie itself is a work of art. obviously the release date of ATJ is on the up and up and why would there be any further delay? its a fine disc and a great movie ( i've been enjoying the R4 one for a while now). really excited about The Rose, since this is a movie i've wanted to see since i discovered Joplin all those years ago.

#11 of 82 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 01:06 AM

I saw the announcement at DVDfile that this includes Hello Dolly , and Sttar ( a real shocker there as Fox told me two years ago they would NEVER do this title. With Star and Thoroughly Modern Milllie due at any time, we Julie andrews fansare thrilled!!

#12 of 82 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 03:02 AM

Although I'm excited about "All That Jazz" and "Hello Dolly", I'm pretty ecstatic about "Star!" coming out. I wonder if Fox will port over the commentary that was on the laserdisc special edition? I hope, I hope, I hope... Posted Image

Rafael

#13 of 82 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 03:11 AM

I hope we can find some specs for these titles somewhere - so far, no. I want to knwo if Hello Dolly and Star are anamorphic, are they 4.0 and do they both have extra features a la making of and screen tests ( a ton exist for Hello Dolly)

#14 of 82 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 03:27 AM

Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result) Why not spread out these releases? Who wants to buy all these titles in one week after having nothing available since the Rodgers and Hammerstein releases over four years ago. Sorry FOX I'll buy CHICAGO instead. Betcha, come August 18th-19th no one chooses to buy "ALL THAT JAZZ" over this year's best picture winner "CHICAGO"

#15 of 82 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 03:40 AM

Well, it goes without saying. IMO, anybody asking if something will be anamorphic is usually a waste of time, since just about every widescreen title is these days...and Fox always uses it now, anyway...

#16 of 82 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:29 AM

[quote] Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result) [quote] It appears that this R1 release is the same as the R2 & R4 releases in terms of specs. Hence I have no compelling reason the replace my R2 version. Now if this R1 release had featured more & better extras or a better soundtrack (perhaps 5.1 or 4.0) instead of the same 2.0 one, I might have been persuaded to purchase it. I looks like my decision to buy the R2 version has been vindicated.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#17 of 82 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:38 AM

Jeff_HR, you sound like you're upset about something today. Anything wrong?
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#18 of 82 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:41 AM

[quote] Really pisses me off that FOX held back on these titles all this time because of ALL THAT JAZZ (which I won't purchase as a result) Why not spread out these releases? [quote]

I understand the frustration of waiting for a title, but not buying it when it comes because you don't like the delay seems a case of cutting off one's nose to spite the face, y'know? Maybe this is easy for me to say, since I'm multi-region and have had "All That Jazz" for a long time already. Still, the realities of marketing are what they are and aren't limited to "All That Jazz"- Fox timed their "Flint" movies to coincide with the third Austin Powers movie, for instance.

It would be more comfortable for my wallet if releases were spread out - next Tuesday I'm picking up 4 musicals all from one promotion, for example - but the studios put these promotions together to be able to grab retailer interest. A catalog title is much more likely to fall through the cracks if it is out there on its own, but tied into a promotion with similar titles, it has the potential to do a bit better. Fox isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here, except for holding up a couple of these (ATJ and Dolly, presumably) until they thought they could sell them better. I'm certain that more retailers will stock ATJ post-"Chicago". The better it does, the more likely that other musicals will be released.

Most of the studios seem more willing to release their musical titles recently, and the only way you're going to see them continue to do that is to buy, isn't it?

#19 of 82 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:17 AM

[quote] A catalog title is much more likely to fall through the cracks if it is out there on its own, but tied into a promotion with similar titles, it has the potential to do a bit better. Fox isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here, except for holding up a couple of these (ATJ and Dolly, presumably) until they thought they could sell them better [quote]
"All That Jazz" was originally to be released in the 4th Qtr of 2002, until it was pulled from its position in the release queue because of the possibility of adding some additional extras (That did not pan out). So unless it was to be a part of some promo during that original release window that I'm unaware of, it appears that Fox thought that it could stand alone as a catalog release & sell itself without any help.

Cogito, Ergo Sum

#20 of 82 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:59 AM

Actually, the Q4 2002 release was, AFAIK, supposed to tie in with the THEATRICAL release of Chicago...I dunno why they delayed it, but at least they got their wish to be able to tie it in to the release of Chicago (on DVD).

And how did Fox come to own this, anyway? When I saw it on Bravo, it opened with a logo for Columbia...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users