Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is it worth it to buy any floor model RPTV?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Ed Bud

Ed Bud

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:17 AM

My local WIZ store is closing and they are selling a Sony KPD-57XBR2, 57", HDTV floor model in excellent condition. The TV in question was manufactured September 2001, at the Sony plant in PA. Sony's suggested retail price was $5500, the WIZ original price tag was $3999.99, and currently they are selling it for $2450. I am aware that this is a 2001 model Sony TV, but I have read some great reviews on it.

What is your opinion regarding the purchase of a floor model RPTV? The WIZ is not offering any type of extended warranty or service plan since thier stores are all closing. Is there a third party company who will warranty a newly purchased RPTV?

Thanks.

#2 of 6 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,386 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 08:14 AM

I would never spend that kind of money on such a huge question mark of a purchase. Also, there are at least a dozen as good or better sets you could buy for less.

#3 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:20 AM

What Hanson said, in spades. And you don't know, really now, how the set has been used.

#4 of 6 Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:22 AM

Ed,

I wouldn't do it.

Typically, floor models are set to "torch" mode with the "picture" level cranked all the way up and there will almost certainly be some level of burn-in.

As Hanson said, that's a lot of money to spend on such a question mark of a purchase.

There are many other brand-new sets you could get for much less.

“Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one. I just do things. I’m a wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs,...

#5 of 6 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 11:44 AM

Too risky. I wouldn't do it, for the reasons mentioned above.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#6 of 6 Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 03:40 PM

Take into consideration that display models get left on for 10 to 12 hr per day every day of the week times who knowes how many days its been on display. The bad thing is I work at CC & have to sell (gulp) display models when new products come in but I would avoid them if I could.
I think the best bet is to leave the display TV's to J6P who doesn't care about picture quality much & just wonts a big TV. I don't care to see anyone walk out with a used set like this but some people will do anything to save a couple of bucks & the stores do have to get rid of them sooner or later.
When it comes down to it when your spending 3 grand is another 500 bucks or so really that big of a deal anymore? Not really for the piece of mind of knowing how the set has been used since it came out of the box.