Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

This Island Earth/Forbidden Planet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:06 AM

Having recently picked up a slew of Sci-fi dvds, and mucho hyped about Soylent Green and Omega Man coming out, (praying for special features) was wondering if new versions of This Island Earth and Forbidden Planet are coming in the not to distant future?

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:42 AM

I swear I've heard rumor of a Forbidden Planet:SE in the works. Can someone back me up?

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:09 AM

The current flipper version is actually pretty good. Light on the extras but the widescreen transfer is fine.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,316 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:10 AM

Haden, I've have several times responded in threads about this title that I assumed Warner would get around to restoring this for some sort of special edition, so that may be what you saw. This is such a beloved classic (like KING KONG, THE THING, THE HAUNTING) that I've no doubt WB will eventually do it up right.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
The current flipper version...
The current Forbidden Planet DVD is NOT a flipper.

The OAR version is on one side and the P&S is on the other.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:33 AM

I'm ok with the current FP dvd...but badly want This Island Earth on dvd. my tape copy of this and THX-1138 are just about dead.
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:57 AM

Is the current Forbidden Planet dvd Anamporphic?

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:00 PM

Quote:
The current Forbidden Planet DVD is NOT a flipper.
Sorry. I tend to use the term to describe any two-sided DVD.

Quote:
Is the current Forbidden Planet dvd Anamporphic?
Yes, it is.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:30 PM

Well, the Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie DVD features Mike and the 'Bots riffing This Island Earth. :P)

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info guys...

Having just picked up the brillaint Day the The Earth Stood Still, I can't help wanting these two gems to get the same SE treatment. I haven't seen either of them in years.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 15 2003 - 11:54 PM

I would love a special edition of Forbidden Planet my fave 50's SF, and a dvd release of the spectacular This Island Earth would be great too.

I recommend getting the George Pal classic 'War of the Worlds' on region 2 dvd, excellent copy and in full blown stereo sound, the region 1 is only available in mono, it has good low frequency rumble when the Martian war machines start moving and blasting everything in their path, good stereo sound, great film.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Well, the Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie DVD features Mike and the 'Bots riffing This Island Earth.

Yes, it has the un-mstf'd version on the disc too. Problem is both the MSTF and regular DVD were both put out by Image and are both OOP.

Does anyone know how the PQ on Forbidden Planet compares to the old Criterion LD?

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 03:31 AM

It would be nice to get the extras from the Criterion LD onto a WB S.E. of "Forbidden Planet" & maybe a Leslie Nielsen commentary. I'm lucky enough to have purchased the Image disc of "This Island Earth" on sale before it went OOP.
Quote:
I recommend getting the George Pal classic 'War of the Worlds' on region 2 dvd, excellent copy and in full blown stereo sound, the region 1 is only available in mono, it has good low frequency rumble when the Martian war machines start moving and blasting everything in their path, good stereo sound, great film
Where is the least expensive place to purchase this DVD Steve? Thanks! Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:11 AM

Its a region 2 DVD Jeff, and it's PAL, the r2 retailers I use don't ship to the US.

Try this link anyway...

http://www.dvdpricec...co.uk/index.php

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
Its a region 2 DVD Jeff, and it's PAL
I have a multi-regional player that does PAL-to-NTSC, so that is not a problem.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,606 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:29 AM

It's really too bad many of you guys who are new to Home Theater did not get an opportunity to collect laserdiscs. The extras on the Criterion LD's of Forbidden Planet are of a substance you don't see anymore. The new SE stuff for today's DVD's are great pieces and apprecaited, but the extras on FP are wonderful. The story of the design of the film, the cut scenes, the costume and effects design, the script....great stuff.
Nelson

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
It's really too bad many of you guys who are new to Home Theater did not get an opportunity to collect laserdiscs. The extras on the Criterion LD's of Forbidden Planet are of a substance you don't see anymore
I know that very well Nelson. I own the Criterion LD of "Forbidden Planet", & I held off on buying the DVD for a long time.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:40 AM

I've got the Criterion LD too. I think the PQ is very good. Is the MGM DVD as good?

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
I recommend getting the George Pal classic 'War of the Worlds' on region 2 dvd, excellent copy and in full blown stereo sound, the region 1 is only available in mono, it has good low frequency rumble when the Martian war machines start moving and blasting everything in their path, good stereo sound, great film.

Steve,

do you mind telling me where you ordered from for this dvd?

oops, nevermind...you are over yonder...I'll ckeck around. thank you very much for the tip. I want this.
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,443 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 17 2003 - 01:42 PM

I don't have the Forbidden Planet DVD but, from the reviews it looks like the sound is better on the laser disc. I recorded the movie years ago from AMC on a SVHS tape. The sound is stereo with directional dialog and effects. Not much in the surrounds but maybe that's the way it's supposed to sound.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow