What's new

Denon 4802 or 3803....any owners care to suggest (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
which of these units to purchase and why? I will be using it mostly for HT. Are there any major differences, except the upconversion on the 3803, and general appearance? I plan on paring the receiver with Klipsch speakers.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have a 3803. I didn't really audition the 4802 because it was way out of my price range. Even the 3803 pushed the budget. But from a technical standpoint, the 4802 is kinda of the black sheep of Denon's family. While everything else got upgraded to the xx03, the 4802 is still mostly unchanged. (Even the 4802R). All of the xx03 inherited features from their bigger brother. The 3803 got the DACs from the 5803, upconversion, lots of inputs, and more features. That makes it an outstanding pre processor. Probably even better than the 4802. But the 4802 has THX processing and a much better amp section. Also, being a flagship, you know you are getting top of the line components in the smallest places that the 3803 might skimp on. Is it worth the extra cash? Only your ears can tell.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Taking all variables into consideration including inputs, features, sound and $, I purchased the 3803. Had the unit for more than one month and extremely happy with it. Very pleased with 2 channel music on direct source and love it for HT.

With my eyes closed comparing the two (“my” requirements and opinions) all I could hear was the extra money I could spend on speakers.

Either way you can’t go wrong.

Kevin

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
When I auditioned speakers the store used a 4802 and I had the 3803. When I hooked up the speakers to my rec when I got home it sounded just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks