What's new

"upgrade" my EAD Encore to Lexicon DC-2 V4 or to something else? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Yep the upgrade bug has bitten again, as it has many of us this spring..would this be a great candidate to upgrade to if it is at all for better a HT experience? Afterall isn't a DC-2 basically a MC-1 w/o a few more inputs? I am planning on getting the Philips 963 SACD and use analog inputs for better music listening as I hear the Lexicon's dont do music that well..so I wont be using it's DACs. Any suggestions? I can get a used DC-2 for $1100. Hoping for a cash/trade combo though. THanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Keir

From what I have read, the great advantage of Lexicon is Logic 7. If HT is your priority Lexicon is hard to beat. Other than that, I don't think you are giving much away staying with your EAD. Hang on to it for a couple more years and get your money's worth out of it unless you can't live without Logic 7.

Artie

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
I am planning on getting the Philips 963 SACD and use analog inputs for better music listening as I hear the Lexicon's dont do music that well
Analog inputs of what ? the lexicon re-digitizes its analog inputs so therefore you wont be able to take advantage of your sacd player to the full extent...unless you have a seperate stereo pre etc. ?

logic 7 is incredible for HT and the music logic mode for multi-channel is nice ....but your EAD is supposed to have (never heard it) VERY good two channel/dacs etc..Maybe you could a/b first ?

Keir H

Second Unit
thanks guys for the help and insight. I did not know that the Lexicons re-digitizes everything on its inputs...now thats a big dilemma. I want the best I can get from 2 channel sources such as SACD. I dont know if my EAD has analog passthrough either however...anyone know? The DACs are a low grade CS4226 and from what I hear its severly outdated and its sound quality is not up to standards with today new 24/96 DACs. Maybe the Lexicon would have better conversion since its 24/96 and not 20 bit?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
The Encore does not have analog bypass. In your price range, if you want good analog bypass and 5.1 inputs in one piece, you should consider the Aragon Soundstage (under 1500 used). The preamp section has the exact analog circuitry as Aragon's top of the line Aurum preamp. Think of it as an EAD Ovation with analog bypass and 5.1 inputs.

btw, $1100 for a DC2 with V4.0 is a nice deal.

gregD

Second Unit
Seeing that you have a very nice AV rig as is, and you're looking to get the best out of 2-ch analog, why not simply add a high-end audio-only preamp with an HT bypass, and use it strictly for music sources?

Keir H

Second Unit
So it is true that the EAD doesn't have analog passthrough, shucks, so I guess I should start shopping it around in order to get a Soundstage esp if it's as cabable as the much regarded OVation. It's that or do what gredD says and get a 2ch pre for music use. Question is, can I then connect that to a SACD player? The Sound Stage is sounding more and more interesting...

Is going with a Outlaw 950 an upgrade or a downgrade from the EAD? It seems to have everything plus a bypass correct?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
That's my point, the Soundstage *IS* the Aurum for 2 channel playback....so you wouldn't need a separate SS preamp. And it integrates the subwoofer in the analog domain, so you can use your sub without digitizing the analog signal.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Many people who are getting the lex dc-2/mc-1 are using it in conjunction with the sony tap with great results..Ive done this myself and its a good one-two punch combination for somebody who wants logic 7 AND analog bypass (two 5.1 inputs actually)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
for what it's worth, i sold my ead encore to upgrade to a soundstage and i haven't regretted it for one moment. i would've loved to have kept the ead but the cost of upgrading it to get analog bypass, mulit-channel input, and a new display would've been $1800. i sold the ead for $1000 and bought the soundstage for $1500. i figure i saved $1300 and got everything i wanted in a pre-pro. unfortunately, i don't have the room for a separate stereo pre with ht bypass or i would've gone that direction. for what it's worth, i love the aragon but i might be a little biased since i also own a pair of aragon palladium ii monoblocks and an aragon 8008x3b. your mileage may vary, keir, but i'm certain you'll be pleased with the soundstage.

kevin t

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I currently have the aragon soundstage and am thrilled to death with it. It has top notch two channel performance for a digital processor and HT is viseral with major dynamics. If somebody just needs a 5.1 system the soundstage would be VERY hard to beat.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

What speakers are you driving with those Palladium II monsters?

Keir,

I sent you a PM.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
ricky:

right now i'm driving a pair of mirage frx-7 speakers. i'm looking to upgrade but i can't quite decide what i want. i'm on the fence between thiel cs2.4 and gershman acoustics avant garde rx-20. now that i have my front end 99% completed i can start seriously considering better speakers. all i need now is a good universal dvd-a/sacd player. the denon 2900 looks like a winner but i might wait for the 3900.

kevin t

Keir H

Second Unit
For the most part, until I can get a better room for more spacing, I'll stick with 5.1. That brings another question, to take advantage of what Logic 7 gives you, do you have to have a 7.1 setup in order to get benefits from it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks