What's new

I have confession to make....I don't like my RP-91. There I said it. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Ja

Agent
I have lived with this dvd player for over a year and in my heart i just never felt satisfied. I have tried it on two different sets, Pioneer 533 and now my Toshiba 65H82, and the performance just never blew me away. I admit I let forum users convince me how great this player was by all the attention it recieved at the time. But no more. Sure it does the whole upscale and a plethora of adjustments but I never really liked the picture. You may be thinking, why did you keep it? I truly just came to terms how I felt about this machine in the last month. I somehow felt obligated to like it because of the amount of money I spent on it, $542.00. My XBOX can do somethings better than my RP-91. For instance when I watched the superbit version Panic Room on my RP-91 there is a scene in the beggining of the movie that shows blowing curtins in the wind. On the RP-91 the curtains are all shaky, please forgive me I don't know the proper dvd terminology to describe some of the problems, but on my XBOX the curtains are fine. The interlaced performance on the XBOX is sharper than both proggesive and interlaced on the RP-91. I'm not saying overall the XBOX is better just that it should not out perform the RP-91 at all, IMHO. The best picture I have ever seen, in my short life, is the Sony 9000es in a store playing Lost In Space. I wan't something like that, minus the chroma bug, in my house. I see the Denon 2900 is coming out and maybe I'll jump on that. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Patrick:)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I think there's way too much hype about this player. I tried one out for a week and took it back. Very user-unfriendly and lacking in proper features. :thumbsdown:

greg_t

Screenwriter
The only features that I think it lacks is a screen saver, which Panasonic still does not include, and remaining time display, although I don't really care about that one. I found that menu system to be pretty easy to navigate, but it did take a little getting used to. The newer xp30's and rp82 are based on the same menu system. The beauty of the 91 is the scaling of non-anamaphoric dvd's. I don't know if you have a widescreen set or not, but if you do, this feature alone justifies the 91. The ability to upgrade firmware for updates to the player is also a nice feature.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
The one thing I find annoying is the lack of time remaining. Other than that I've been very happy with it for the almost 2 years I've had it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My gripes:

1. Lack of time remaining
2. Lack of a smoothscan rate at like 4X speed (it goes from 2X to 10X or something like that)
3. Lack of screensaver

Other than that I love my RP91. I have owned Toshibas and Sonys in the past, I miss the Sony ergonomics, but I truly think of the RP91 as the best picture I've seen in any DVD player I've owned (and I've owned like a half-dozen or so). My XBox doesn't even come close, IMO. Is your set calibrated? Mine was ISF'd by Michael Chen, and I've been nothing but absolutely ecstatic w/ the RP91 since I bought it over a year ago. I used to upgrade DVD players every 6-12 months but now I have something that is as close to a "keeper" as I've seen in this break-neck paced HT world we live in. Wonder if you got a bum machine...

Patrick Ja

Agent
Wonder if you got a bum machine...
Sometimes I wonder. If anybody here has Video Essentials, does your text shake on the start up menu when in progressive mode? Mine does. Not in interlaced though. Also, the other day I went to press stop on the player and no button would work not even on the remote I had to turn the power off from the receiver, which I have the player plugged into. My set is not calibrated, hopefully I will get Gregg Loeween To do it when he comes to the Detroit metro area in may.

greg_t

Screenwriter

This could be part of your problem. How do you have the 91 connected to the receiver? What kind of receiver do you have is it is capable of passing through the progressive signal to the TV? It is usually recommended that you go from the player directly to the TV if at all possible.

Mark All

Second Unit
I'm not saying overall the XBOX is better just that it should not out perform the RP-91 at all, IMHO.
Patrick,
You're absolutely correct. The game machines are nowhere near as good for DVD playback as a RP-91. From what you describe, I think you either have defective progressive circuitry in your DVD player, something wrong in your receiver's switching, or bad cabling. Can you borrow anybody else's progresive scan DVD player and test it in place of your RP-91? You should be able to isolate the problem to the source by switching things around a couple of times.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I got a RP82. Is it really better than 91 ?
The only advantage the 91 has over the 82 is that it does scaling. The 82 has the Faroudja chip and has better performance on video based material or poorly flagged discs.

Consider yourself lucky if you have an 82, they are very difficult to find. :)

Clark F

Agent
Speaking of the Faroudja chip, I read somewhere on this forum that Panasonic stopped putting Faroudja chips in RP62's. I bought a RP62 in early February. Is there a way to tell if it has the Faroudja chip?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks