What's new

Need advice re: Panny XP-50..!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys, am I screwed?

I just bought an XP-50 off a guy who had posted it on EBAY... (I wound up Emailing him directly and made him an offer, so he pulled the auction) that was Region modified, plays all regions and NTSC-PAL discs. Is 2 months old, barely used... Supposedly upgraded with the BJ Unlimited III chip...
Got a good price and he had an EXCELLENT feedback rating, like 982 and 99.8% were positive so I figured I was cool. Just now I realized that just because the player is multi-system and can play PAL discs, that doesn't mean that it can convert PAL to NTSC like the JVC 70 (which ironically I already own, looking to upgrade...)
So, I just emailed him with this question. In his ad he says that he was primarily using it to watch Spanish R2 discs. I assumed he didn't have a PAL or multi-system monitor, but who knows???
I already mailed off the Money Order, but now I am freaking. If it DOESN'T convert, what's the point? Unless I buy a PAL to NTSC converter which is like $250. I can't even take advantage of the code-free stuff unless it is NTSC.

I surfed a bit in the code-free player vendor sites and saw several Panny models that are modified code-free and indeed play PAL discs but they state that they do NOT convert PAL to NTSC.
Could this chip actually do that as well? Am I gonna get stuck with this? He seems like a very cordial and friendly guy from our E-mails.

I wanted the player due to the excellent reviews and shootout results anyway, but I'm sure I could have gotten 1 for a bit less or at least new in box otherwise.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.....

Sincerely, Dave Mack
(Potentially bumming in Massachusets...)

Updated... Yeah, I think I'm screwed...
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/xp50.htm

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To my knowledge, no Panasonic DVD players (so far) will do the PAL-2-NTSC conversion. The only benefit of a region hack on a Panasonic is to play non-Region 1 NTSC DVDs (like from Japan).

This is the reason I have a modded JVC XV-65GD (older model) because it does have the conversion feature due to the Mediamatics chip it uses for video (which I think was the same as the chip used in the Malata N996 - another multi-region/PAL-2-NTSC capable player).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanx for the response patrick!
I got the M.O sent back and the guy was cool. Thinking of getting a JVC600 modified... I already have a 70-bk (non-mod...) Can you tell me how the pic. quality is after conversion? I want to get the Buffy musical R2 disc from amazon uk... Since there is to my knowledge, no prog. scan in the UK and therefore, no prog. flags on these PAL discs, what mode does the player use for playback? SMART? video? Film? How does it know? Or do you have to force it into a mode?

Thanx! D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks