Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Processor "Upgrade" a Good One?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Delbridge

Dave Delbridge

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 02:49 PM

Hi all, I am advised by our home theater consultant to replace our Rotel RSP-985 (to Parasound HCA-1205A 5-channel amplifier) with a Denon 3803. Is this a good move? The obvious concern is that the Denon 3803's internal amplifier will be inferior to the outboard Parasound amp. Our HT "guy" responds that because we utilize a hefty Velodyne sub, the Parasound amp has gone largely underutilized and that I should not notice an audible difference -- and that, even if I do, there is always the option of bypassing the 3803's internal amp for the outboard Parasound. Sounds good to me, but every sales guy I speak to makes an ugly face and ushers me over to the $5,000+ Parasound and Rotel processors, as if to say that I'm degrading my system somehow by introducing the Denon. I have no experience with Denon. I only know that the 3803 appears to answer my requirements: > Need more S-video inputs > Need multiple component inputs > Need upconversion > Integration of Denon w/ Phast automation would supposedly be better than our current Rotel setup. [It IS pretty funky, and Rotel's is perhaps the WORST remote control layout I have EVER seen.] So, given these requirements, is this a good move? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Dave

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 03:33 PM

Let me get this straight, your "consultant" is telling you to get rid of a Rotel pre/pro and Parasound amplifier to "upgrade" to a Denon receiver?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 03:38 PM

Frank, I'm thinking that the consultant wants him to use the Denon as a pre/pro as opposed to a normal pre/pro such as an Anthem. Am I correct in this assumption?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 04:04 PM

That's what I thought at first but then Dave mentions his concerns about the Denon's internal amps being inferior to the Parasound amps.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Delbridge

Dave Delbridge

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 05:49 PM

Woops. I guess I did confuse the issue by presenting both sides of TWO arguments -- the all-Denon solution and the Denon/Parasound solution. Judging by your responses, I suppose we can throw out the all-Denon solution. The Parasound amp stays. [And remember, even though the Denon's amp could go entirely unused, this remains the least expensive solution that answers all of my requirements. The Rotel and Parasound alternatives are $3k-$6k and don't offer an obvious advantage. For example, I simply don't need four or even three component inputs.] Now, given that the Denon 3803 will feed a Parasound amp, is this a good solution? Or, am I still introducing inferior links into my chain? ...so to speak. Thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. Dave

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 01:23 AM

Are you saying the only prepro's you will consider are a 3k rotel and a 6k parasound? What would be wrong with the $1500 Rotel for example? You may want to list your system requirments (5 or 7 channel for example) for better answers and diffinately keep the 1205 amp regardless.
Charles

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Delbridge

Dave Delbridge

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:19 AM

That's just it: I don't feel that a $3k-$6k processor is required to meet my demands. However, I'm not knowledgeable enough about this kind of equipment to make these decisions confidently. I don't want to inadvertently "cheap out" and degrade my system. Any equipment recommendations are very, very welcome and appreciated. My requirements are: INPUTS (video/audio) - CD Jukeboxes (x2) (optical) - DVD (S-video/optical) currently combo w/ LD but not forever - Laserdisk (S-video/optical) - DSS (component/optical) + (S-video/RCA - to TV) - PC (component/RCA) (no S-video, so goes only to proj.) - X-box (S-video/RCA) - VCR (S-video/?) OUTPUTS - TV (S-video) - Runco projector (S-video & component) We aim to send only component to the projector in order to elliminate some automation problems. Hence, the new requirement for upconversion from S-video to component. If I understand correctly, DVD and X-box will be line-tripled due to their source resolution, whereas Hi-Def DSS and PC will not. OTHER REQUIREMENTS Integration with Phast system. The processor must accept absolute commands. For example, the processor must accept a "Select SOURCE DVD" command, rather than rely solely on relevant (prev/next) commands which always fall out of sync with the programming. Again, ANY equipment recommendations are welcome. Thanks again. Dave

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 08:23 AM

I don't think switching to the Denon will be an upgrade. I would also recommend to keep the Parasound amp, if you wanted to upgrade to 6.1/7.1, just add a smaller amp to power the extra channels. Two very popular pre/pro's around here are the Outlaw 950 and Rotel RSP-1066. I would look into either of these to see if they meet all your criteria.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users