Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just watched "The Fifth Element" on HDHBO in OAR - WOW!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 02:16 PM

'The Fifth Element' in OAR on HDHBO. I now understand the limitations of DVD (I have both Superbit and original versions). The telecast was heads and shoulders above even the Superbit version on DVD. Only the audio was a bit less dramatic (though not half bad either). The video was simply stunning and for some reason this 'eye candy' was presented in 2.35:1 OAR. Colors and detail were without peer. Anyone else catch it?

Joel

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 02:51 PM

Yeah What happened did Luc besson storm the HBO studios at Gunpoint and force them to show it OAR? Only other film I've seen on HBO in OAR was Forest Gump. It looked mighty fine especially on my Direct View Set.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 03:05 PM

I thought it was Showtime. Posted Image

It was a beautiful presentation. I was bizarrely entranced by the red roses on Ruby Rod's costume. Great colors and great detail.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, I don't even like The Fifth Element and it was hard not to watch. What a gorgeous picture!
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 05:51 PM

Last weekend they were supposed to have shown it in OAR, but some blockhead screwed up and showed the 4:3 version. I was miffled. Very, very glad to see it shown tonight, but I didn't catch all of it.

HD is SO here. Posted Image

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 12:59 AM

I'm gonna try to catch Murder by Numbers tonight it looked great the little I caught of Saturday. I also caught a portion of Robocop on late this weekend and it looked very good also looked like True HD and not an Upconvert. I can't wait to see Spiderman in a few weeks. I wonder if Lucas is gonna Let HBO show a Hi Def AOTC's ? Although it'll probably be MAR.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
Only the audio was a bit less dramatic (though not half bad either).

For some reason, it was DD 2.0 (at least here). HBO-HD usually sends 5.1 if the track is available, which The Fifth Element certainly should be.

Quote:
Only other film I've seen on HBO in OAR was Forest Gump.

I've seen a few others (e.g., Monster's Ball). I suspect it's a question of their getting access to the source materials (and licensing rights) needed to make a cropped HD transfer.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:54 AM

Over at the AVS Forum there's a long discussion about this. Apparently HBO is claiming they were supposed to get a new HD transfer but it was damaged and that's why they started showing a 4x3 version. After lots of complaints they went back to the HD transfer they showed several years ago that only had a DD 2.0 soundtrack, which is what they started showing yesterday.

Yes, it looked sweet. But God is it a dopey movie in a lot of ways.
David Forbes

Read excerpts from book three in my fantasy series at www.davidforbes.net.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:59 AM

Quote:
After lots of complaints they went back to the HD transfer they showed several years ago that only had a DD 2.0 soundtrack, which is what they started showing yesterday.

Does this mean they would have cropped the new transfer and not allowed the 2.35:1 version to be broadcast? Posted Image

Joel

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,519 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:15 AM

Unfortunately, 2.35 OAR is the exception, not the rule at HBO, which is why I don't bother with it. My order of preference:

HD OAR
DVD OAR
2.35 HD cropped to 1.78

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:19 AM

Joel,

That is unfortunately a big unknown. I did, however, go to HBO's web site last night and sent them a very nice thank you for the OAR broadcast and encouraged them to continue. I said the audience for HD is a niche audience who are very into OAR. I suggest everyone interested in getting HBO to change their inane policy do the same.
David Forbes

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:30 AM

I think they 'hobble' the HD OAR broadcast with 2.0 audio on purpose to prevent people from getting the whole shebang, so to speak.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:32 AM

Trenton,

No, they've had other broadcasts that have been in 5.1.
David Forbes

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
I think they 'hobble' the HD OAR broadcast with 2.0 audio on purpose to prevent people from getting the whole shebang, so to speak.

That has not been my experience with HBO HD. Usually, if there's a DD 5.1 track available, they use it.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   VicRuiz

VicRuiz

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:54 AM

All the HBO 2.35 transfers have only DD 2.0/ProLogic sound, since they were made before they started showing MAR transfers (around June 2000), and HBO didn't have 5.1 sound regularly then. On the new transfers made since then you get the 5.1 sound but not the 2.35 OAR.
Vic Ruiz
Protect Fair Use. Support Boucher and Lofgren.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 12:01 PM

*waits patiently for HD DVD*

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 07:13 AM

I think all films shown in HD whether it be HBO, Showtime or networks, look pretty awesome. Unless they're the downrezzed versions then they're not as good. I was watching a bit of "Silence of The Lambs" last night, DAMN! I thought the new DVD looked good! I did notice it still had some of the specs and scratches that infest most movies especially older stuff. I do wish the studios would clean these movies up and make pristine HiDef masters.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   John Knowles

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:56 AM

I'm toying with the idea of trying HD HBO or Showtime...is Showtime any better about doing OAR? How does HBO's original programming look over HD?
So turn in your shoes...FOR INDUSTRY!!!

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:04 AM

As best I can tell, Showtime is always in OAR.

As for HBO original programming, it all looks fairly nice in HD, but only some are in widescreen. Most of the documentaries are (understandably) 4:3.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:24 AM

Ditto on Silence of the Lambs on Showtime HD. I only caught a couple minutes of it, but from what I saw, the picture was a lot sharper than the MGM DVD. Too bad HD-DVD is probably at least 3-4 years away.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow