What's new

CHAPLIN collection cover art! (Inc. Dictator, Limelight, Gold Rush, Modern Times) (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thrilled with the release, but I have to say the cover art lacks any warmth and seems a tad sterile.

Were they trying to save on toner with these covers?

The Image-Entertainment covers were superb. While I realize that they had to make this distinct from that set, these covers could stand to be vastly reworked to provide some vividness.

Look at Fox's Marily Monroe sets: not that different from the new Chaplin sets, but much more embraceable...Maybe is is the color, but I also think the Chaplin boxes just look like someone's is in their first week of learning photoshop.

Ah, well. A minor irritant in an otherwise sure to be great set.

:)

Mark

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hate the covers and am torn on the discs. Gold Rush is a definite, but I'm not sure about the rest. I don't care about extras, so my current versions may be fine. Depends on if the video quality is greatly improved. For instance, the current version of Limelight seems a little contrasty. If this is vastly better, I may go with the box.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for these discs, but not that happy with the cover art. No biggie though, they will do.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
My guess is that these covers were designed by MK2, not by Warner. They are very similar to my R2 Truffaut sets released by MK2 in France.

Jeff

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
When I was in France a few weeks ago, I saw the new French DVD of THE GREAT DICTATOR from MK2 video with the exact same packaging design that the U.S. DVDs have been given (as seen on the digital bits website).

That certainly makes me agree with Jeff, and it can be assumed that the MK2 company designed the packaging, since they now (I believe?) own these films.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've been going back and forth on these rereleases and have finally decided to pick up The Gold Rush and that's it. The cover art, crappy as it is, had nothing to do with it, though. The Image discs are 'good enough,'excepting the omission of the silent Gold Rush. Of course, that's all subject to change once I have it in my hot little hands :D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Is there any remaining reason to hold on to my Image discs?
If the deleted scenes are presented as supplements (which the press release seems to indicate) instead of as part of entire alternate versions of the films, you'll want to keep the Image discs in order to see those entire unmodified versions with the incorporated deleted footage.

DJ

Nathan_H

Second Unit
It also sounds like the earlier films won't be window-boxed, meaning that the top and bottom of the frame will be slightly cropped on these re-issues (cf the Image versions).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It also sounds like the earlier films won't be window-boxed, meaning that the top and bottom of the frame will be slightly cropped on these re-issues
Actually, they'll probably windowbox the pre-Modern Times films.

David Shepard exposed the entire frame (to the point of seeing framelines and the edges of sprockets) for the laserdiscs, but just need to be framed well for the remasters. Cineteca di Bologna did the masters for the Kino German Horror set, so it's likely they'll do windowboxing when needed.

Of course, we'll have to see. I'm hoping they windowbox the pre-Modern Times films just a little bit.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Wait - so it's $90 MSRP for the box set, and $30 MSRP for each title individually?! SOLD! I originally only wanted Modern Times, The Gold Rush and The Great Dictator, having not seen Limelight (and being unable to blind buy much due to my college student expense restrictions ;) ), but since I'll basically be getting Limelight for free if I buy the box set, there's no reason to not get it. :D

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Did MK2/is Warner putting out all of the films that were on Image DVDs including Woman in Paris & a King in New York?

Ted

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Did MK2/is Warner putting out all of the films that were on Image DVDs including Woman in Paris & a King in New York?
Yes. Plus, Image (and before that, CBS-Fox and David Shepard) never released the silent Gold Rush, nor The Chaplin Revue. (But the Image DVD of the First National films is likely going to be unique. I'm betting the First Nationals will be grouped together onto one set.)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So, the other titles coming from future releases are:

The Circus
City Lights
The Kid
A Dog's Life
A King in New York
A Woman in Paris
Monsieur Verdoux
and The Chaplin Revue

What am I missing? I assume that A Countess from Hong Kong, having just been released by Universal, will not be released by Warner.

Thanks in advance for the info. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
City Lights
Modern Times
The Great Dictator
The Circus
Limelight
Monseuir Verdoux
The Gold Rush

are sure to be single-movie titles...

That means

The Chaplin Revue
A Woman of Paris
A King In New York

The Kid
A Dog's Life
The Idle Class
Sunnyside
The Pilgrim
Pay Day
Shoulder Arms
A Day's Pleasure

Will be on three sets. I'm guessing it'll be...

The Chaplin Revue w. The Pilgrim, Shoulder Arms, A Dog's Life

A Woman of Paris/A King In New York

The Kid/The Idle Class/Sunnyside/Pay Day/A Day's Pleasure

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks