What's new

Buying from Canada (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am considering buying a piece of HT equipment from someone in Canada. Anyone have any problems with shipments from over the border, or is there anything I should know before I commit???? Thanks...........

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Any luck looking at the US government websites?

As far as I know, computer accessories and equipment usually do not have duty on them. If the equipment was made in North America (Mexico and Canada), they probably do not have duty. It's pretty tricky.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Donny, do a search of the forum. I've bought tons of HT gear in Canada at great savings and have posted how to do it about 50 times.

Basically,

Depending on what province you buy the stuff in, you get either all, or most, of the taxes back.

The exchange rate makes it much easier to afford great stuff up there.

You can bring as much gear back into the states as you want (assuming the gear was manufactured in Canada...meaning stuff from Classe, Anthem, Bryston, Paradigm, Energy, Totem?), duty and tax free, per NAFTA.

Basically, there is NO RISK to doing this. Do a search like I said and you will get a ton of hits.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe the USPS offers delivery tracking or confirmation services to Canada, or vice-versa. Of course, with the size and weight (and cost) of most HT gear, you'll probably be using insured shipping with UPS or FedEX, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks