What's new

Cadillac CTSv 400hp V8 Preview (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
The New York auto show, which takes place later this week will display the new CTS-V . I'm rooting for this car all the way....Corvette engine, 6-sp, 18" tires, big brakes, suspension upgrade...awesome stuff.

Here's the article:

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti..._1/index.phtml

Earlier we talked about this car vs. the M3 and Audi S4. Could be close.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Dear Pontiac -
This is what your "GTO" should be like. Thank you.

It looks really good. I don't know how many years its been since Caddy has made one, but a 'vert model might be extra sweet.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
haha...the GTO is seriously lacking, I agree!

Anyway, I've always wanted a Corvette, and I own/love Cadillacs and here we have the best of both worlds in one package. I have to keep telling myself "masters degree first!"

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
$50,000 though...and made by General Motors...

I for one don't expect it to perform and drive like an M3 nor handle like one or an S4 for that matter.

Interesting choice by Cadillac but I honestly doubt it will take an M3 when the test reports roll in.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I dunno Shane. I expect it to perform like an M3 and S4. Remember, American cars are making huge strides in overall quality and engineering. While listening to the war on CNN, they had a newsbreak that discussed how American cars have improved in reliabilty by 12% whereas German companies only improved by 2%. (measured in repairs per car). Not only that, have you seen the CTS plant? You could eat off the floors.

Let's talk performance. The sigma platform is a very rigid chassis. Add to it the revolutionary 400-friggin-hp LS6 engine, the properties of a sedan, some nice tires, etc and you got one hell of a combination never seen before from America. I wouldn't underestimate the CTSv just yet. And just to open up a can of worms (OUACOW) I find that the HTF isn't really that supportive of American cars. Why is that?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
While I really like what Cadillac has done with the exterior of the CTS, the interior has a long way to go to catch up IMO. Count me in a looker, but not a buyer just yet.

Dean

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Well, I have to say I'm not really a fan of the new Caddies, but I do respect the fact that they've been experimenting with a little more daring designs lately.

Unfortunately I seem to see an awful lot of the CTS's in the shop of my Chevy/Cadillac dealer. There were about a half dozen coming in the last two times I was there.

I don't know how many years its been since Caddy has made one, but a 'vert model might be extra sweet.
They're coming out with the convertible XLR this summer, Chuck, which I actually think looks very nice. http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/.../overview.html

Oh, and I can't believe they're coming out with the Sixteen ... 1,000 HP. :eek:

Don Black

Screenwriter
As a BMW owner, I'd be interested if it were in the $35-$40K price range. At $50+k, I'd probably stick with das bimmer....

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
While listening to the war on CNN, they had a newsbreak that discussed how American cars have improved in reliabilty by 12% whereas German companies only improved by 2%.
That is an orphaned statistic, because for all we know, American cars could have improved from being 50% reliable to 62% reliable, and German cars could have improved from being 80% reliable to 82% reliable. That doesn't mean I'd pick the American car over the German car.

The CTSv is turning out to be a sweet car though. 400HP NA V8 based on a proven and reliable Corvette small block? Check. Low curb weight? Check. 6-speed manual? Check.

Price/performance, this car is great if you're looking for luxery sedan around 50k. This car easily overpowers the A4, and the M3 is coupe-only. The M5 would probably out handle the CTSv, but for $20k more. The E55 and RS6 are quicker to 62MPH, but for $25-$30k more (and both are using forced induction).

You think Lingenfelter will have a package out for this car anytime after its release?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
And just to open up a can of worms (OUACOW) I find that the HTF isn't really that supportive of American cars. Why is that?
Probably because most people want a reliable car and have been burned like me several times with american cars and their improved reliability. I honestly doubt you could give me an American car at this time.

As it has been said, those improvement #'s can be skewed. Perhaps they were 32% reliable up to now 44% reliable?

The only American Car I'd own right now at all is a Corvette but I feel that it would be in the shop alot and would be ready for that expense.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ok I see you're just talking about that class. But to be fair every car in that class I can think of (S4, M45, 540i 6spd, E500, GS430) weigh less than the CTS-v. Can you give an example of a direct competitor that weighs more? I 'm just trying to get a basis on why the Caddy (of all brands) would be considered light weight.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
By direct comparison, do you mean in terms of size, price, or something else? The 394hp/368torque M5 weighs 4024lbs. If you consider a 540i in the same class, then the M5 would be a more direct comparison considering the engines.

The 390hp/408torque Jaguar S-Type R weighs 4046lbs.

The new E55 Benz also weighs 4000lbs+, however it has an ungodly amount of HP/torque; simply amazing considering the leap they're making from the old E55.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I was basing the phrase direct competitor with your example, the S4, most notably the cars in the same category of price & performance. The cars weighing more than the CTS-v cost a good bit more, in a way I guess you're paying for the added weight! :wink:

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The CTS is esentially a compact car. All those cars listed are mid to full size. The regular CTS competes against the 3 Series, the A4, and the X Type. It would make sense that the performance version of the CTS would compete against the S4 and the M3. The CTS-V weighs more than either of those two.

And just to open up a can of worms (OUACOW) I find that the HTF isn't really that supportive of American cars. Why is that?
It's not just the HTF, it's pretty much everywhere. Whenever GM does something involving the 'vette small block, it ends up being an excellent chassis. The engine is great, the tranny, suspension, brakes, etc are great. The interior is always horrible. The CTS interior is much better than the vette, but still isn't up to par with it's class (small sporty luxury cars). With that said, I LOVE what GM is doing with the CTS-V. I just hope they give it a better interior.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I do not care at all for the styling on the Caddy CTS line. It's difficult to tell from the pictures in Chuck's thread, but is the styling of this new model similar to the existing (yuck) CTS?

However, I would never spend $50k on a car, so I doubt that GM cares what I think. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks